Epilogue Part One

"Shhh."

"Amara, why are you-"

"Shhh," I quickly clamped my hand over her mouth, my alarmed stare making her obey.

Slowly pulling my hand down, Deja whispered, "Why are you hiding?"

I pulled her arm to sit behind the couch after hastily checking my surroundings. She looked at me expectantly as she awaited my answer. Deja had definitely learned by now to just go with the flow and get the explanation later. Normally there was an explanation, like now, but sometimes there wasn't.

I tucked my hair behind my ear and quietly spoke. "I'm hiding."

Rolling her eyes, she huffed, "Yeah. I gathered that from finding you behind the couch under a blanket. Not a very good hiding spot, you know."

"We got in a fight, Day." I licked my lips nervously, "I don't know what to do when he gets back," I gently massaged my forehead in hopes to diminish the ache, "It was our first big one."

Her face scrunched sympathetically, "What was the fight about?" That was Deja, always set on learning the facts before drawing an opinion. This helped me in many conflicting times, even if she didn't always side with me.

I took a deep breath before speaking. "It's stupid really, but we were talking about him going back to the palace." I shifted my body towards her with my hands spreading wide as I explained. "The original plan, that we both agreed to, was him joining us for six months and it just being you and me for the other six. All of a sudden he's wanting to stay the whole year!"

Her eyes fluttered around as she gnawed at her lip. "So..." she paused, deliberating her response, "Why can't he stay? What's making you not want him to?"

I cracked my fingers, a nervous habit, "I don't know. He's just been so, so," I let out a huff of annoyance, my arms extended with tension, "attached." My body slumped against the back of the couch. "These six months have been great for us but lately, I haven't gotten any space. He's everywhere! And then he says he's going to stay. Without asking me."

"Uh-huh," she said, nodding in understanding. "Where is Kuzco?"

I rested my chin on my raised knees. "He left after our argument. I told him that it wasn't what we agreed on, that I wanted some time with you...alone. To travel like we first planned, before Kuzco." My eyes opened wide with eyebrows raised. "Then that made him think I was suggesting that I wished we'd never met at all."

Deja tied her curly, dark hair behind her neck, something she did when she needed to focus. My haggard appearance only added to my frustration. We had just arrived in the city of Pisac last night after days of travel and then we got into this argument in the early morning.

"So, in shock of what he said, about wishing we never met, I didn't say anything which made him think it was true. Obviously, it's not, right? But before I could say anything, he was out the door." I let out a long breath after the lengthy explanation. We sat in silence for a while as both of us ruminated.

The more I thought about it, the more I slowly felt the pressure of guilt. Kuzco staying the rest of the year really wasn't a big deal. It would have been much easier to have just smiled and agreed with him but I think his constant presence reminded me of the independence I initially sought when planning this year-long trip. I deserve to have some time to myself. Right?

Recently, anytime Deja and I went out for a girl's day of exploring, he found a reason to join us. Is it bad that it was starting to get annoying? I still love Kuzco, even more than I did when I first said so, but... well, I don't even know anymore.

All I wanted now was for Kuzco to hold me in his arms. Whisper in my ear that everything is okay.

"I don't even know where he is right now. Deja! I've made a mistake haven't I?" I stood up quickly and frantically rushed towards the door. Her hand wrapped around my wrist and pulled me back to face her.

"Okay, first, take a deep breath." She stared at me until I exaggeratedly did so. "Good. Now, going off to find him is only going to make this more complicated. He's going to come back eventually so we'll just wait here." She slowly sat down on the couch, patting the spot beside her.

I slumped into the couch's cushions. "I'm just so nervous, Day. You know how I get." I let out a slow, deep breath, "I'm just so worried that he's gonna wake up one day and realize I'm not worth the hassle. That the Emperor could get someone way better than some villager. And it's true, Deja. He could get anyone he wanted." Again, we sat in silence. We both knew what I said was true even though it was unrealistic, it was possible.

I opened my mouth to speak but was interrupted. "But I don't want anyone else." My head turned towards the voice that I knew all too well.

"Kuzco, I-" My mouth hung open like a fish.

Kuzco gave a light smile and then walked over to where I remained on the couch. "I don't want anyone else, Amara." He held my hand and gave me a stern look as he saw I was about to interrupt. "Of course, there are better people in this world than you," My eyebrows furrowed as I became confused and a little hurt, "but you're the only one I love. You're selfless, kind, funny, intelligent, and not to mention, absolutely beautiful."

My facial expressions slowly melted off as he continued talking with a bright smile. "Can you imagine how that makes me feel? I've got this unique, special woman that deserves so much more than what I am."

"Oh, Kuzco." I stood up, leading him to do so as well.

He gave a short laugh, "Please, let me finish." I laughed but remained silent. "I'm sorry, Amara. I didn't think about your side when we got into the argument this morning. I was able to think about it this morning and I realized I messed up. It's been almost six months, I should go back to the palace soon, start working on everything we started before leaving."

"You don't believe I wish we never met do you? I don't want you going back home because you think that. When I thought about it, it really isn't a big deal if you stay. It would only give us more time to grow closer."

He smiled but shook his head. "No, of course, I don't believe that. I was just being stupid and I'm really sorry I made you think that. On your other point, you need time to yourself to explore the way you first planned and that's not bad at all," he said this quickly when he saw the guilt on my face. "As I said, I really should get back to the palace and resume my duties as Emperor."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, "Are you sure?"

"Of course," he said as he pulled me into a hug.

"I'll miss you," I murmured into his shoulder.

I could feel his grin against my head. "I'll miss you too, Mara," he murmured, "But every day we're apart it will only make the day we're together again even better."

I squashed his cheeks between my palm. "Look at you being all mushy. Where'd my Kuzco go?"

"You're Kuzco, huh?" he smirked at me.

"That was both the cutest, freaking thing I've ever seen and the most nauseating." We both turned to see Deja standing there eating an apple.

"Have you been here the whole time?" I asked, my shock ignoring her comment.

"Yeah..." Kuzco started laughing and I just looked at her with embarrassment. "You can't blame me though. I have to live through you for romantic drama. Being single is great, said the liar."

"Let's go get dinner!"