Part Thirteen

Kuzco tried to apologize but Yzma was determined to rule the empire. Throwing a knife at Kronk, she ordered him to kill us. This was crazy! Looking at Kronk, I couldn't understand why he would work for such a maniac. Instead of approaching us to do as ordered, he swiftly cut a rope which caused a chandelier to fall on Yzma.

An opening in the chandelier slipped right past her body that was basically nothing but moldy skin and bones. Using this distraction my dad jumped for the vial that was clutched in her hand. They fought over it until it flew across the room. Yzma hurriedly pushed over the closet, making all the different vials mix together. Without labels, we were unable to pick out the human one.

Guards rushed into the room at Yzma's order to arrest us. We quickly piled all of the fallen vials into my dad's shirt. My dad and I kicked over the table of chemistry sets and bubbling substances. The guards halted momentarily as they turned into various animals but then continued to race towards us.

We dashed to escape the approaching guards but I was pulled back by sharp nails clawing into my arm. Looking behind me to see who was attached to this stick of an arm I found Yzma victoriously staring at me. My dad and Kuzco halted, realizing I had been captured, "Go! Don't worry!" I shouted at them.

After a moment's hesitation, they disappeared with guards chasing after them. Stopping my foot down to slam into Yzma's, her grip on me loosened as she howled in pain but I was again pulled back by two guards. She ordered them to contain me as she ran to join the guards chasing Kuzco.

~

"You know, I have a friend who would love to go out with a guy like you. Strong...successful," I peeked at the two guards sitting on either side of me. Both remained as still as a statue. I huffed in exasperation, I had been trying to bribe them ever since Yzma had darted off. They had sat me down at this bench with my hands tied. With no following orders from Yzma, they didn't know what to do with me.

"What's your name?" I asked the guard to my right. While all the guards looked very similar to each other, this one was slightly smaller in muscles and seemed antsy.

He looked at me briefly, calculating if it was wise to speak. The other guard gave him a warning glance causing the smaller one to wet his lips nervously, "Cusi."

I smiled at his response, "How long have you been a guard?"

He cleared his throat, "I just got out of training."

"Got a girl?"

He itched the back of his neck nervously, "No. Not yet anyway."

Smirking, I said, "Oh, I see." I turned my head toward the stoic guard. He had a broad nose and a scar intersecting his eyebrow that made him look rather scary but I think if he smiled it wouldn't be that bad. "What about you?"

He simply grunted in response but I continued to stare at him. "Don't do that," he commanded.

"What?"

He glanced at me then stated, "Staring at me. You don't blink." He shifted, uncomfortable.

"Oh, sorry," I said quietly, looking down.

After a few minutes, I heard a sigh from beside me and the grouchy guard spoke. "Atoc. And I'm married."

Looking up in shock at his conversation, I smiled seeing the sweetness hidden under his hard exterior. Cusi nudged me and said, "He has a baby too."

Atoc's eyes snapped to glare at Cusi but fought against anything further. I think his thoughts about his wife and baby made him soften, whether he liked it or not.

"My wife and I are expecting our first child, yes." He wrung his hands together.

"Well don't be worried, just do your best." I held up my bound hands, "I promise not all of us turn out like this."

No conversation followed but an amused smirk did sneak onto his face.

~

I was gently nudged by small hands, waking me from my sleep. Confused, I slowly peeled my eyelids open. I must have accidentally fallen asleep but looking around, there were no guards in sight and I was in a soft bed. Facing to my left where a figure stood cautiously, I rubbed my eyes to clear them. A girl, perhaps a few years younger than me, remained by my side with hands clasped and wide eyes.

"Miss?" she asked in a soft voice.

My tired brain took a second to realize she was speaking to me. "Uh, yes? Where am I?" I patted my hair knowing it must look like a bird's nest.

"Miss, you are in one of the royal chambers," I raised my eyebrows in question, "The Emperor's palace." Concern took over her features, "Miss, are you alright?"

My brain fog cleared up, "Oh!" My burst of realization made the young lady jump. "Sorry, I understand," I smiled guiltily. "Could you just remind me how I got here exactly?"

She cleared her throat, "Your father brought you up here. The Emperor let you both stay at the palace. He wanted to speak with you but decided to wait after seeing you had fallen asleep." She walked over to a grand closet and pulled out some fancy clothing.

"The Emperor? You mean Kuzco's a human?" Her eyes widened at my casual reference to the Emperor.

She approached me in a more relaxed manner, "Are you sure you're okay? Maybe I should go get a doctor." She said the last part to herself as she walked towards the door.

"No, no, no. I'm fine, promise. Uh, what did you have to tell me?" I hopped out of the bed.

Seeing that I was physically stable seemed to give the girl some confidence in me. "Well, the Emperor wishes to speak to you but I really think-"

I ran out of the room, paying no mind to my likely haggard appearance. Realizing I didn't know where he was, I ran back to the room. Smiling sheepishly at the stunned girl, I asked what her name was and where I could find Kuzco.