Part Seven

Sometime late at night, I awoke to a fading fire. Grabbing some sticks set aside for this occasion, I placed them into the dull flames, renewing its warmth. Now, with more energy, I was able to take in my surroundings. We were camped near a large lake which was fed by the waterfall we had fallen from. I shivered slightly at the fresh memory. The bright full moon was reflected in the shimmering water.

My dad was sleeping on the other side of the fire but the Emperor wasn't anywhere. Looking around, I found the llama shivering in his sleep as he was quite a distance from the fire. I looked at his form thoughtfully, remembering what he said before I fell asleep. He was still going to build Kuzcotopia and destroy our home. He was so arrogant that he wouldn't even take advantage of the fire my dad made.

Pulling my parka over my head, I sighed at what I was doing. Apparently, under my irritation and anger towards the Emperor, I felt that there must be some good in him otherwise I would never be so patient towards him. I came to stand over the sleeping llama and laid out my parka like a blanket. His shivering immediately stopped. A person could only grow to be so selfish with an upbringing that would cause such. With that thought, I realized that I knew nothing about the Emperor. Of course, news quickly spread when his parents died as they were the previous rulers but what happened afterward?

A soft voice snagged my attention, "Amara," it was my dad. I walked over and hugged him. We hadn't had the time to simply enjoy each other's presence as we were busy falling and drowning. "You scared us, Amara," I scrunched my eyebrows causing him to clarify, "I came outside to find you gone, lost in the darkness."

"I had to find the Emperor and convince him-"

"I went inside to tell your mother that I would be returning to the palace so that I could return the Emperor." Oh. I thought he decided against helping the Emperor but of course, he didn't, he's my dad.

"I'm sorry," I said understanding, "but I just wanted to solve the problem as soon as possible."

He studied me then shook his head with a smile on his face, "I should have known. You're just like your mother." I smiled proudly at the compliment, my mom was awesome. "Though, I don't think she would be as kind," he laughed and I quickly joined him.

We quieted from our laughter and began to settle back on the ground to sleep. I lay on my stomach with my head resting on my folded arms. "So," he said hesitantly, this was gonna be awkward, "what's with you and Emperor Kuzco?"

I coughed as the saliva lurched in my throat, "What do you mean?"

"Well," he knitted his fingers together, placing them on his belly, "he seems taken with you."

My head snapped up to look at his face but there was nothing but seriousness. "Pfft, the only thing he's taken with is himself." My dad popped an eyebrow so I continued, "We're just friends is all. If you could even call it that...more like tolerant acquaintances."

He hummed in thought. After a moment of silence, I asked, "So what are we gonna do tomorrow?"

"We'll figure that out when we get there. For now, I'm going to sleep." With that, our conversation ended in comfortable silence and I eventually drifted off into a restful sleep.

~

In the early morning, the sun was already shining brightly in the light blue sky. I kneeled down by a clear pond sprinkled with lily pads. The reeds growing from the water brushed together by the wind, like the bow of a violin being softly run over the strings. Tired, I splashed some of the cold water on my face to wake up. Wiping the water from my eyes, I was startled to see the Emperor at my side.

He seemed sad, "Uh, hey," he handed me my parka back, "Thanks." Ah, he just wasn't used to saying thank you.

I splashed more water on my face while stating, "Of course." The Emperor seemed surprised and uncomfortable at my unusual lack of conversation. One, I was tired and two, I was mad.

"Feels like wool." I only glance at him as I stand up, "Alpaca?"

"Uh-huh."

"Oh, yeah, I thought so. It's nice," he said, looking at me in expectation of a reply.

Delaying my need to speak, my dad climbed out of the thick plant growth, proudly holding out some fruit, "I got breakfast."

We all sat in slightly uncomfortable silence as we ate. Each of us wondered what would happen afterward. Would we part ways and have to find a new home? Or could the Emperor miraculously change his mind?

The Emperor stared at me for a second but then directed his attention to my dad, "So... So, I was thinking that when I got back to the city, we'd, uh... I mean, there's lots of hilltops, and maybe I might, you know... I--I might..."

My dad asked, "Are you saying... you've changed your mind?"

"Oh, well, I--I..."

"Because you know that means you're doing something nice for someone else," my dad did well to hold in his surprise and joy in case this was all a cruel joke. He even seemed proud of Kuzco. I mean the Emperor.

He casually replied, "No, I know that. I know." The Emperor definitely didn't realize how shocking this was.

I butted in, my eyebrows raised, "And you're all right with that?"

"Yes." While skeptical at this selflessness, I shortly accepted it and turned hopeful. My dad, on the other hand, inspected the Emperor with skepticism. He then held out his hand and the Emperor smiled, going to shake it.

"Don't shake it unless you mean it," he said sternly. After a brief moment of thought, the Emperor shook his hand. In relief, my dad shook his hand vigorously. His joy leaking passed his serious guard.

Before my dad could continue, I said, "Wait," sticking out my hand, "this promise is between us as well. You break it," I said warningly, "you break our friendship too."

His eyes widened at the mention of our friendship but returned to normal in acceptance. After hesitating momentarily, he shook my hand causing me to give a toothy grin.

My dad clapped his hands, exhilarated with new energy. "Alright! Let's get you back to the palace. Oh, by the way, thanks."

As we walked away, the Emperor spoke to himself, "No, thank you." His gaze was menacing but turned slightly regretful as he glanced at me.