Epilogue Part Seven

Six months later...

"What fruit is she now?" Kuzco rubbed his hand across my bump, more like a boulder now.

I smiled at him as we lay next to each other. We were currently having a picnic in the gardens under the soft sunshine. I wanted to go to our spot by the creek but being so close to giving birth, everyone felt more comfortable if we stayed near the palace. So, the gardens were the best option.

"A cantaloupe, I think."

Kuzco's face melted and brought his face to my belly. His voice switched to the baby voice he quickly adopted after finding out I was pregnant. Like when you talk to a cute dog. "Aww, my little cantaloupe."

Chuckling, I said, "Not so little anymore. This balloon's about to pop, thank goodness." I sat up, leaning against the trunk of a tree.

"Speaking of," his eyes flicked to mine, "I have to build the crib..."

My eyebrows scrunched as I paused at chewing the grape I was eating. "You already built the crib." His eyes avoided mine. "You, my dad, and Kronk got together to do it two months ago... right?"

Kuzco rubbed his neck, "Well, not exactly..."

"Kuzco," I said with disappointment, "our baby could come at any moment and they don't have a bed?"

"Uh-oh, Mommy's angry with Daddy," he 'whispered' to my belly. "Come on, Beautiful, you know that when we all get together...we don't do what was planned."

"I know, I just thought that my dad would make sure it got done," I shook my head in amazement. "And I'm not angry, it's not that big of a deal, but you better finish it today."

His shoulders relaxed knowing I wasn't mad. "Oh, good. I thought you were gonna get all hor-" He stopped himself before he could dig his hole deeper.

I stared at him, begging for him to finish what he was going to say.

"I'm gonna go, uh, do the crib."

"Good idea."

~

We stood together, looking at the completed crib. Kuzco had called me up to see it once he had finished, he was proud.

Everything was fine and I complimented his work but then I found a single piece that had rolled under the rocking chair. So, now we stood there staring at the crib, trying to find where this piece went.

"Do you have the instructions?" I looked up at him.

"Oh, yeah! They're in the trash," he said, causing me to snort in laughter. He walked over to the little trash can in the room, pulled out the instructions, and gave them to me.

I flipped through the numerous pages as he walked around the crib trying to find the spot for the extra piece.

"Here it is. It goes in a hole at the bottom, Babe. For support or something."

His eyes jumped to mine in excitement and I realized the opportunity I had just given him. "Say it, Mars."

I laughed, "No, Kuzco. I wasn't even thinking that." He just stared at me and waited. "Fine. That's what-"

"She said." He laughed maniacally and held out his hand for a victory high-five.

~

"How did the baby get in your belly, Mara?" Tipo and Yupi stared up at me with big, curious eyes.

My mom replied from beside me, "I don't know kids. You should go ask your father."

They nodded their heads in excitement and ran off to find him. My mom and I laughed thinking of the situation that was about to happen. My poor dad.

"I can't believe you're about to have your baby, Amara," my mom looked at me in disbelief.

I rubbed my belly happily. "I know. He could come at any moment."

"Kuzco thinks it's a girl, doesn't he?"

I hummed in agreement as I took a sip of water. He thought it was a girl and I thought it was a boy. Another sharp pain ran through my body. These have been coming in moderations ever since late last night.

My family, most importantly, my mom, were staying at the palace now so that they wouldn't miss the birth. Which I was thinking would be very soon.

"Mom, could you get me that herbal tea? I'm gonna head up to my bed, not feeling too well." She nodded her head in understanding and asked for a maid to help me to my room.

"I'll go get that and tell Kuzco to finish his work and get to you." I nodded but focused on getting to my welcoming bed.

~

I woke up quietly to see Kuzco holding our little baby in his arms. His mouth was slightly agape as he stared at his son.

My dad stayed outside the room with the kids while Kuzco and my mom were inside with me.

I was able to sleep for a little bit when I got to my room but the contractions eventually got stronger to where I couldn't ignore them, at all.

Everything went relatively smoothly. The craziest thing happening was Kuzco fainting for a few minutes. Let's just say, he stayed near my upper body for the rest of the time.

Slowly sitting up to avoid more pain, I reached for a glass of water that was beside the bed. Kuzco looked at me and smiled seeing that I was awake.

"Look, Kairo, your beautiful mommy is awake." He carefully walked over to me with Kai in his arms.

"Morning, my loves," I said as I took Kai in my arms. His wide, dark brown eyes stared up at me, in wonder of everything he was seeing. He had thick tufts of black hair on his little head. He was absolutely beautiful.

"He's perfect isn't he?"

"Yes, he is," I whispered as I ran a thumb over his soft, puffed cheek.