xxiv. talking things out

________

________

Gilbert-Salvatore's House

"What the hell was that, Nathaniel Salvatore?" Cassandra grumbled at her son. She was mad with the way he handled the situation. Yes, she understood his point of view, but that was not needed.

Nate gulped as he saw his mother's furious expression.

"I think we all know what that was." Damon butted in as he leaned forward. However, Cassandra's piercing eyes glared at Damon, and he shrunk back into his seat.

Nate avoided eye contact with his mother.

"Nate, why did you guys break up?" Stefan questioned his son.

Nate sighed. "The date had just finished, and we were on the way home. Something happened that caused up to argue. We were yelling and then she suggested that we break up and I agreed." He left out some key details, but he didn't want to reveal them to everyone.

Cassandra sighed. Being a mother of two, she has learned a lot of things and knows all the small things. Right now, she knew that Nate was lying. Maybe not lying, but he wasn't telling the whole story

"We're going home. Eve, you can stay the night here." Cassandra announced, leaving no room for protests. Nate and Stefan complied and followed her.

________

Forbes-Salvatore's House

The family arrived at their home and sat down on the couch in their living room.

"Tell us the truth. What actually happened?" Stefan asked.

"We fought a couple of days before our date." Nate revealed. Cassandra looked at him as if she was telling him to continue.

"It was about her not taking care of herself. Like she's always there for everyone and in that process, she doesn't take care of herself. And, on top of that, she had a long day and was awfully tired but still, she gets up and goes to be there for Evelyn." Nate continued.

"How isn't she taking care of herself?" Cassandra asked.

Nate sighed because he knew he had to reveal what was happening. "She hasn't been sleeping enough. It's because of these nightmares that she has been having, and the only time she sleeps properly is with me."

"Nightmares." Cassandra gasped. It's not every day that someone would get nightmares, especially if that someone was Mother Nature.

"How are you feeling?" Stefan questioned his son, diverting the topic.

"I'm fine. It-it's just that, I don't know how to explain it."

"It hurts." Stefan completed. He knew that feeling of pain and hurt from a breakup.

"Yeah." Nate agreed. "I miss her, you know. I-I never thought that we would break up. I still love her. I don't think I'd ever stop..."

"Why'd you stop?" Cassandra questioned, confused.

"I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen." Nate replied. Cassandra and Stefan stiffened

________

Bennett-St John Residence

It was the next day after the dinner and Eleanora had left the witches' house and went back to her house. She walked into the house and saw her mother and sister on the couch watching tv. She sighed and walked into the room making her presence known.

"Mom." Eleanora said, gathering her attention. Bonnie turned her head and looked at her daughter.

"Your home." Bonnie stated. She was still upset that her daughter didn't confide in her and hid her pain while they were having an amazing day, in Bonnie's eyes. However, during that time, Eleanora was most probably hurting.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." Eleanora sighed as she sat down on the couch across from her mother. "You were so happy, you know, that we were going out. And, I was having fun as well because you distracted me. I just didn't know how to bring it up."

"Honey, I want you to be available to talk to me whenever you want. You're not supposed to be worried about me, okay? It's supposed to be the other way around." Bonnie told her daughter, causing Eleanora to release a small chuckle.

"Now, all I want to know is one thing. Why did you break up with Nate?"

"He wasn't happy. Nate wanted more and I don't know, just at that moment breaking up with him felt like it was the right thing to do." Eleanora replied as a lone tear fell from her eyes. "I want him to be happy and I feel like the only way he will be is without me.

"Do you love him?"

That question made Eleanora pause.

"I'll always love him. He's my first love and will forever hold a special place in my heart. You know what they say? If you love somebody, set them free. And if they really love you... They'll come back."

"When did my little girl grow up?" Bonnie rhetorically asked so the atmosphere softens. "And, who knows, you guys may end up together, but right now I think you guys need to grow up individually before you guys decide to do anything."

Eleanora agreed with her mother and nodded.

Bonnie hesitantly asked. "So, nothing is happening with you and Atlas?"

"Mom, seriously. He somehow found out and has been cheering me up." Eleanora explained causing Bonnie to smile gratefully, happy to know her best friend's son was there for her daughter.

"He's my person."

________

Guys, I just wanted to say that I got the term 'my person' from Grey's Anatomy. And, for those who don't know what if means, here is the definition.

'My person' refers that the person that is your go-to person who always supports you in everything you do--good and bad. It's the person who you can't stay mad at or live without. It's more of a platonic term. It's used about friendships.

By the way, hope you enjoy the chapter. Thank you so much for it