34. Judgement Day

EM

The platform was cold, the icy wind that tore through the station, and through the clothes of the unprepared served as a harsh reminder that this wasn't Sao Paulo or Austin anymore. This was home at its freezing finest.

I clutched my portfolio tightly to my chest as if somehow this would protect us both from Autumn's fury, stroking the embossed letters with a nostalgic pride. The contents might have changed somewhat since it sat on display at my final degree show, but the cover was still comfortingly familiar. We had been on quite a roller coaster together over the years, and it was still the most expensive book I'd ever purchased, and by a considerable margin I realised with a wry grin. Much good it had done me until now.

Dan was up in Keynes with the team, his offer to accompany me to London appreciated, but refused. I had managed to drag him to a hotel for our first night back in Britain at least, although persuading him that sharing a bed was medically proven to halve the symptoms of jet lag compared to sleeping alone hadn't been too difficult.

After that however, it was back to business as usual. Even with only one race to go there was still work to be done, for this year..for next year...F1 was a beast that never slept, and for the last few nights at least neither had I.

'I love you'

Right on cue the message flashed up on the screen and sat there glowing brightly, imprinting itself upon my brain. Those three little words still generated a warmth of their own every time I heard them. At one point I'd wondered if I'd ever hear them again, or at least not so soon

'How did you know I was just thinking about you?'

'I thought you were always thinking about me...'

It was sadly and soppily true I realised as I clambered into the carriage. After the slight 'hiccup' in the middle, our relationship was once more in that happy honeymoon faze. Long may it last I prayed silently, if today went well I might just get my wish.

*

The office building, probably an attractive structure in Summer's glowing sunshine, loomed dark and intimidating out of the grey clouds. Inside the cheery receptionist provided a welcome splash of colour, her red blouse like a beacon in the sparse, modern interior.

"Uh, hi. Emily Taylor - I'm here to see Dominic - Dominic Sanders"

"Sure" she smiled warmly "second door on the left - he's expecting you"

I knocked hesitantly, recognising the answering voice as the one that would tell me my fate.

"Hi"

I stepped inside and hovered nervously, unsure whether it made a better impression to confidently stroll in and help myself to a chair, or to wait at the door until he came to greet me or invited me forwards. Consequently I ended up doing neither, floating awkwardly in no mans land between desk and door which in hindsight was possibly the worst option of the three.

"Please - sit down. This is just an informal chat"

Informal my arse. I'd felt more relaxed in a dentists chair than I did right now, not to mention the fact that I was almost certainly sweating. Despite the weather outside the office was warm...TOO warm, yet not in a cosy and inviting way.

"I must admit I had my doubts when Darren first recommended you for the job, however you have more than justified the decision to hire you..."

He paused, and leaned forward slightly while I steeled myself for the inevitable 'but'.