Chapter Two: Orion

A flash of red almost stops me in my tracks before I realize that would be a very bad idea. Especially once I realize the red is a ponytail attached to a girl and what I can only assume is her brother, as he looks just like her. It's the first time I've ever seen anyone up here, except for the scouts, and I'm almost curious enough to go back. And then, the voice of reason rings clear as a bell, just as I'm moving back across the alley's entrance. I quickly shuffle past, making a break for the corner of the nearest building.

Crap, I think. I was almost spotted. I chastise myself for getting careless. I didn't know there was anyone left up here but the handful of scouts and soldiers the Underlanders sent up once in a while. For that matter, what if they are scouts, just out of uniform, or in disguise? The thought is almost enough to give me pause. No, I think. They don't look nearly old enough. I tuck into a jog as I turn a corner, trying to distance myself from the copper-haired girl and boy in the alley. I glance up at the setting sun and push myself a little faster. The last thing I want is to get stuck up here. A few more turns and I'll be home free.

I slide around a corner, stealing a glance behind me. No sign of either the girl or the boy. Good. The last thing I need is to get stuck explaining myself to a couple of Shadowlanders. I duck into an abandoned subway tunnel and head for home.