Chapter Eighteen: Calista

I'm going to kill him. I swear, I'm going to kill him. I spend the entire tram ride home figuring out what to do about Ri's mysterious disappearance this morning. There's no point hiding it from my mother. The school will have called her as soon as he failed to show up. No, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to punish him for doing that to her again.

She worries so much when he disappears. I know she knows exactly where he is and what he's doing, but that doesn't make it easier on her. If anything, it makes it harder. Especially after dad went missing.

When the tram arrives at my stop, I almost don't get off. I'm totally unprepared for this. I have no idea what I'm going to say to mom. It's not like anything I say will make a difference anyway. It won't change the fact that he's gone, after she explicitly told him not to go back up there. It won't make it any easier – on her, knowing that he's back on the surface, or on him when he gets home and has to deal with the wrath of mom. Or on me, for that matter, forever caught in the middle.

I start planning what to say as I'm walking up the steps, but stop when I hear voices behind the door. Is he home already? But how? I definitely hear his voice, but there are others, too. Ones I don't recognize. Two of them, from what I can tell – a man and a woman.

Oh, no. Please tell me he didn't get arrested again. This would be just like him. They'll revoke his rations for sure, this time. Maybe even move straight to conscription. I hope for my mother's sake that they don't. It would kill her. I don't know if she could take it. Not again.

I push the door open, expecting the worst, to find, not a man and woman, but a boy and girl, about Ri's age, standing in the kitchen with him and mom, who appears slightly distressed, but otherwise fine.

All four glance at me as I close the door. Mom smiles stiffly at me, a gesture which tells me to be on my best behavior. "Ah, good, Lis, you're home. It appears we have some guests. This is..." she gestures to the strangers, and they introduce themselves.

"Gabriel – Gabe," the boy finishes, nodding his head in respect.

"And Genevieve," the girl adds, "but you can call me Gin."

"Right. They'll be staying with us for a while," my mother finishes, shooting a glare in Orion's direction.

I'm confused. We barely have room for ourselves in this tiny house. Nevermind the strict food rations – calculated for four people, not six. Why are we suddenly taking in guests? I glance at my mother for answers, but it's Orion who finally decides to explain.

"They figured something out, Lis. Something huge."

I cross my arms, gesturing for him to expand on this apparent revelation.

"They found a way to end the war. They can tame the shadows." He leans forward, putting everything he has into this statement.

I'm flabbergasted. Tame the shadows? But that's impossible. The scouts have been trying for years and they haven't found a way. There's no way some kid figured it out. "Very funny, Ri," I scoff, moving to sit down at the table.

"I'm not kidding. Gin figured it out. I've seen it with my own eyes!" He's more animated than I've seen him in years. "This could change everything."

Wait. Is he actually serious? After months of sneaking up to the surface, did he... did he actually find something?! "Even if it is true, what do you plan to do with it?"

"We're taking it to the government. To the military. They'll know what to do."

The girl – Gin – looks less pleased at this. It's clear she's unsupportive of this particular mode of action. "We don't know if it will work, remember," she cautions him. "Just because it works for us doesn't mean it will work for an entire civilization."

He brushes off her concerns, muttering, "Yeah, I remember, but it's the best lead we've got." He folds his arms across his chest like a petulant child.

My mother chooses this moment to interrupt. "Gin, Gabe, right? Why don't you let me show you the rest of the house. We'll put you up in Ri's room for now," she shoots a meaningful glance at my brother and it's clear this is punishment for bringing in unexpected guests. "Why don't you follow me."

With nothing else to do, I decide to head up to my room and study for that history exam. It's almost dinner time before I finally realize Bee hasn't gotten home yet.