Chapter Forty-Five: Calista

I glide my hands up and down my biceps, smoothing the goosebumps that have formed there in the cool autumn air. It's been almost a full year since the war ended, and I'm still readjusting to the changes of the seasons here on the surface. I'd forgotten how much more dramatic the shift is than underground. It's the one thing I'll probably miss.

My mother and father stand on the porch of our old house, clinging to one another like drowning sailors to a raft. A camera sits comfortably in my father's free hand, it's lens pointed at me and my companion.

I smooth the skirt of my peach satin gown, adjusting the ribbon sash around my waist. Soren O'Malley stands beside me, his cream suit perfectly tailored to his body. He gently takes my hand, slipping a white rose corsage over my wrist with a flourish.

My father commemorates the moment with a click and a flash, casting long shadows behind us on the driveway. We have learned their names are Fortuna and Kierran, and we're careful not to tread on them as we bid my parents farewell. Soren assures them he'll have me home by eleven, but my father brushes him off. "Just take care of my girl," he warns tenderly, lacing his fingers into my mother's and leading her back into the house.

As we head toward the car, preparing to leave for the homecoming dance I promised Soren so long ago, I watch my parents settle into the couch in front of the window. I watch my mother nestle her head into my father's shoulder, forehead pressed against his stubbled cheek. I watch my father stroke her hair sweetly, planting a soft kiss on the top of her head.

I glance into the upstairs window to see my brother and his girlfriend sitting on his bed, hands gesturing wildly as they talk about books, most likely. He says something and she playfully swats at him, then kisses him, quickly. They look happy.

I don't need to look to know my sister Abigail's window is dark, and has been for some time. Last I heard, she's on her honeymoon, finally, now that she and her husband Terrance have reopened Regent Hydroponic Industries and gotten it back on its feet. There's talk of starting a restaurant when they get back.

Finally, I look around at the world we've conquered and lost and found again. I breathe the fresh air, hear the wind rustling in the trees, feel the concrete of the driveway under my feet. The shadow war seems like a lifetime ago.

"You ready?" my date asks, holding the car door open with a gentlemanly smile.

I nod, slipping smoothly into the front seat.

He closes the door behind me, but for the first time in years, it seems like all the doors are finally open. The world is filled with possibilities just waiting for me to explore.

I take a deep breath as he turns the key in the ignition, starting the engine rolling with a gentle purr.

"Let's go," I murmur breathlessly, and I swear to god we drive off into a real live sunset.

The End.