Chapter Ten: Genevieve

"Wait!"

My brother and I whip around simultaneously.

It's him.

There he is, the boy with the golden blond hair, sprinting toward us down the street. I wrap my fingers loosely around the handle of my knife, more intrigued than truly threatened. I see my brother do the same.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Gabe demands, taking charge. He steps subtly in front of me and I pretend not to notice.

"How did you do that?!" The stranger runs a hand through his hair as he comes to a stop, pushing it back from his flushed face.

"You first!" Gabe takes another step toward him, the grip on his knife handle tightening. "Who are you? Where did you come from?"

The boy throws his hands in the air. "My name is Orion. I'm an Underlander."

An Underlander! I think, heart racing. "Orion, like the constellation?" I wonder aloud, a grin creeping slowly across my cheeks. My brother looks at me like I've just grown another head, but the stranger just smiles at me.

"Yes, exactly like the constellation," he responds, surprised. "My father was into astronomy, before..." He trails off. "I've been wandering around for weeks looking for... something. Anything, really." He looks a bit sheepish.

"Well, whoever you are, you should probably go back to Underland before you get yourself killed." My brother turns and starts to walk away.

"Wait!" He takes a halting step toward us. "You still haven't told me, how did you do that? Why did the shadow leave you alone?" The boy is so eager, almost desperate.

"Well, it was –" I start, but my brother cuts me off.

"Not here," he mutters into my ear. The look in his eyes tells me I should listen.

"Come with us," I say to the stranger – Orion – eyes shifting to the street behind him where we just left the shadow. "We'll explain somewhere safer."