Chapter Forty-Three: The General

The second the shadow bites down, I know it's over. I go limp, certainly not by my own desire, and feel a warm glow encompass my body. I try to protest, but to no avail. I can't move at all. Time freezes. The world goes silent.

The shadow begins to change form before my eyes, shifting from a monster into a man, dark in features, wearing a long black cloak, holding me gently in his arms. He strokes my limbs and cradles me like a child, and I feel a mist close over my body where his fingers fall, a warmth seeping into my bones, as the figure begins to murmur in my ear. It's some kind of lullaby, vaguely familiar, but sung in a language I can't identify, and the words lull me gently into a peaceful resignation.

Buried deep within the words are pictures, images of my life. I see my mother, long dead, holding out her arms to welcome me. I see my wife, lost to the shadows before the migration, and my son, stillborn nearly a decade ago, now half-grown. As the shadow sings, I am overcome by the joy of seeing those I loved once more, in this, my final hour.

The voice gets softer and softer as I begin to lose consciousness, until finally, as he approaches the last few lines, it becomes inaudible. I sink down into the silence, embracing the darkness that approaches, and disappear into it.