west side story

A/N: Golly gee, it really has been over a year since the last time I posted something. To be completely honest, I have been incredibly busy and overwhelmed over the past year and writing hasn't been my priority. Since the last time I posted, I haven't written anything that wasn't academic. It wasn't until recently that I finally got the inspiration to write something again. As I've said, I haven't written in a while so I apologize for the rustiness of this one-shot. I hope you're still able to enjoy it, and I can't wait to hear what you think.

As the title suggests, this one-shot is inspired by the movie/musical West Side Story. If you haven't seen it or heard of it, it's based on Romeo and Juliet, so I am well aware that some parts of the relationship seem rushed. 

I hope you're all healthy and safe and that you're taking care of yourselves.

Enjoy. 

All Beacon Hills residents were incredibly familiar with the infamous rivalry between the Wolves and the Hunters. Ever since werewolves were recognized as citizens and subsequently began revealing themselves to society, humans and werewolves in Beacon Hills either separated their loyalties to one of the two street gangs or kept themselves out of the matter altogether. Tensions among the groups remained at such high levels that members of the opposing groups struggled to even pass each other without shouting slurs and threats to punch the others' lights out.

The Wolves, led by blonde bombshell Erica Reyes, consisted of Beacon Hills' resident werewolves, both born and turned. The Hunters, in contrast, were led by Scott McCall, the son of a woman who was nearly murdered by a rogue alpha and practically Stiles's brother.

"C'mon, Dad!" Stiles cried, "No one's going to touch me. It's just a club. I'll be there with Lydia, maybe even Scott, we'll hang out for a few hours, and then come back. Everything will be fine. Promise."

The Sheriff raised an eyebrow, not fully believing his son. "Fine. But if you see any of the Wolves or Hunters, you stay away. I know Scott's got himself wrapped up in all that shit, but I don't want to see you in one of the county cells. You understand?"

"Yeah, I do. Promise, Dad."

Stiles nodded with a grin and ran upstairs to change into more acceptable clothing and out of his characteristic plaid. Lydia, his best friend, already sitting on his bed, handed him the red shirt she'd chosen from his closet. With a roll of his eyes, Stiles pulled the shirt over his head to replace the ratty t-shirt he'd been wearing earlier and grabbed his wallet and keys.

"Let's go."

At the club, Lydia quickly pulled Stiles towards Scott and Allison Argent, her best friend, immediately launching into a conversation. Within seconds, Stiles was already able to pick out members of the Hunters at one side of the club and the Wolves at the other, but he knew that as long as he remained vaguely near Lydia and Scott he'd be golden.

Scott clapped a hand on his shoulder, "I can't believe you got your dad to let you come!"

Stiles shook his head, "Me neither, dude! I was half-convinced he was going to ground me on the spot for even suggesting it. C'mon, get me something to drink."

The two hurried over to the bar, where Scott ordered something from the bartender before pressing it into Stiles's hand.

"Mingle!" Scott shouted over the loud music, "I gotta go say hi to some of the other guys, but I'll come to find you in a minute, okay?"

Stiles nodded and sipped on his drink (some kind of variation of rum and coke he guessed), before deciding to go look for Lydia. She had somehow disappeared in the mere minutes it took for him and Scott to walk to the bar, and Stiles would much rather hang out with her than stand alone while waiting for Scott to get back. Making his way through the crowd, he ended up in the hallway leading to the bathrooms. Stiles stood there for a moment, to give a chance for the residual booming in his ears to calm down, before heading back to join the dancing masses. He wasn't able to reach the end of the hallway, however, before nearly running into what he can only describe as the most handsome man he'd ever seen in his life.