19

it was 6.44pm.

i stood in front of my mirror in a backless green dress with spaghetti straps and a low neckline.

the bruises from yesterday were clearly on display but i wasn't about to hide them.

i didn't care what Father said, if he thought i was weak he needed his head checked.

my own head was throbbing but i ran a hand through my hair and plastered a smile on my face as someone knocked on the door.

"who is it?"

"Matteo."

"come in," i called. "what shoes should i wear? the black heels or the-"

"Lola." Tom said.

i looked at my brother in the mirror, dressed in his black suit as always.

the side of his face was bruised and his hands were cut.

"Matteo told me you fell down the stairs."

i didn't say anything back as we assessed the damage done to each other.

"are you ok?" he asked.

"am i ok?!" i laughed even though nothing was funny. "you were dead!"

"mm," he did up the remaining buttons of his shirt and pulled a tie and cuff links from his pocket. "i suppose we're even now. can you help me?"

i took the tie from his and looped it around his neck. "Father called me weak."

Tom didn't reply as i tied the tie and pulled the knot tight.

"he called me the same." he admitted as i began on his cuff links—tiny silver oak
trees. "you're not weak, Lols."

"neither are you."

he snorted. "yes i am. i tried to push my baby sister out of a window twice. once i succeeded and i still feel like shit because of."

"it was a long time ago..."

"doesn't make it okay." he opened the door as the real Matteo knocked.

"Father told us to be ready by six forty five!" he stared at us.

"i was." i pointed out.

"we were just having a little bonding time." Tom brushed past Matteo, putting on his jacket.

"are you ok?" Matteo asked after Tom's footsteps grew silent.

"i've got a banging headache but other than that i'm dandy." i slipped my feet into the black heels.

"you should be seen to."

"by who? Father?" i laughed. "no thank you."

i took Matteo's arm as we walked down the stairs.

i tried to ignore the considerably large bloodstain on one of the steps but failed.

Tom, Matteo and i all sat in the drawing room, waiting for the Malfoys to arrive.

none of us spoke in case Father was nearby and happened to hear us.

the grandfather clock in the foyer struck seven and a loud knock sounded.

we listened to the housekeeper greet the family and their footsteps grew closer as they approached the drawing room.

"they're just in here..." the housekeeper flung the doors open to reveal the Malfoys.

"good evening, Lucius." Tom stood and shook the man's hand. "Narcissa," he kissed the woman's cheek. "Draco." he nodded at the boy. "welcome to Riddle Manor."