Awake

Warning: short chapter ahead

The voices were becoming louder.

And louder.

And louder.

Telling her how useless she is. Telling her how everyone would be better of without her.

She was a burden.

An unnecessary load to carry.

Finally, they stopped.

But had already caused great damage.

-----

Alessia fluttered her eyes open, her head throbbing at this slight movement and her mind couldn't fully adjust to the things around her.

The room was dark, no one in sight, but she started to panic unnecessarily when she heard a quiet snore beside her.

Alessia slowly looked down to the head that lay in her lap and for just a brief moment, stupid as it sounded she thought it was her mother.

Was she finally able to get her attention?

Suddenly the lights were turned on burning her eyes. The doctor was surprised to see Alessia awake and turned to look at the sleeping woman beside her who was slowly waking up from her slumber.

After her eyes adjusted to the light she was not at all surprised to find out it was not her mother.

Alessia stared into the tired eyes of Ingrid shining with happiness which soon made up for the disappointment she felt.

"It's good that you're awake miss, we were starting to get worried for a moment since the sedatives were suppose to wear off a few days ago." The doctor said with that emotionless face of his.

Alessia felt arms around her and soon relaxed in her grandmother's warm embrace, somehow ignoring the pain at her side.

"Madam, I strictly advise against contact with the wound, it might open up the stitches." The doctor warned.

At this, grandma Ingrid quickly let go of her granddaughter in fear of opening up her wound.

Alessia looked into her grandmother's eyes then at the doctor's before asking with a cold face,

"Why am I not dead?" She asked calmly.

Ingrid couldn't believe her ears and so did the doctor, and what shocked them most was the way she sat calmly expecting an answer to her shocking question.

Ingrid got up crying and left the hospital room, faulting herself for not being there for her granddaughter.

Her granddaughter really wanted to die as if she had nothing to live for.

Oh God, what did her son and his wife do to her sweet Alessia?

Inside the room a nurse was checking her pulse and vitals, quite satisfied with the results and informing the doctor all about it.

He jotted some information in the small notepad he was holding and proceeded to ask Alessia some questions.

"Do you feel any pain in the head? Maybe a slight pounding of that sort?"

All Alessia did was nod at the question and the doctor jotted it down in his notepad.

"What about the skin around the wound, does it itch a lot?" The doctor asked again.

"Kind of." Alessia mumbled coldly.

The doctor proceeded to asked her a few more question and when he was satisfied with the results, he left the room, the nurse following soon after adjusting the IV connected to her arm.

Soon after Ingrid strolled inside after getting herself back together. The last thing Alessia needed right now was stressing herself for her sake.

Alessia was staring at the ceiling before looking at her Ingrid.

"You look tired grandma."

Ingrid smiled and shook her head.

"Not really, the important thing right now is that you're awake and getting better. That's all that matters." Ingrid smile widened, trying to lessen down her granddaughter's worry.

Alessia's empty eyes returned to gaze at the ceiling and said in an emotionless voice.

"They never came, did they?"

"What, sweety?" Ingrid inquired but she knew who Alessia was referring to.

"They never came, did they?" Alessia repeated with a icy tone.

Alessia felt her head being lifted up gently and placed on her grandmother's lap. Soon she run her hand over her granddaughter's hair trying to soothe her but she herself could not find  it in her to answer because they both knew what it was.

They never came.