Chapter Fourteen

The Quiets' examination went quickly enough and concluded that, while I'd be fine, I should rest for today. When I'd questioned them about the possible cause of my fainting episode they'd stipulated that being a bonded guardian can strain the mind at first, confirming the Queen and mine's theory that it was her extreme emotions that had overwhelmed me.

"I'd just like to give you a light sedative, if I may?" The Quiet-who'd said their name was Farrah-asked gently, a small vile full of milky liquid in hand.

"A sedative?" I asked shakily. Why did they need to sedate me? I'd be defenseless.

"Please don't fret, guardian," Farrah cooed, seeing the panic creeping over my face. "It isn't designed to put you to sleep, only to soothe you and help you to relax."

My breathing was still a little shaky and I could feel my heart beating a little faster in my chest. I didn't love the idea of being drugged by a vampire, even a Quiet vampire with pale features and a calm demeanor, but maybe it would be beneficial to me right now.

I nodded hesitantly.

Farrah nodded once, relief relaxing his features. "All you need is three drops on the tongue. I'd like you to lie down for a little while before I let you leave. I just want to make sure that you don't suffer any adverse effects. Once your escort comes to retrieve you, I'll discharge you from my care. Does that sound fair?"

It was very strange to have a vampire seem so invested in my wellbeing. Did I have vampires all wrong? Except for Eric, most of the vampires I'd encountered were . . . decent. I had to keep my face from scrunching with the thought that vampires might not be as bad as I made myself believe. My entire perception of reality was shifting the longer I was here; I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep denying the obvious.

Vampires might not be the monsters I'd feared them to be.

"Please, stick out your tongue," Farrah instructed.

I did as he asked, still lost in thought. One, two, three cold drops of a bitter-tasting liquid hit my tongue and I resisted the urge to gag.

"There," he said, stoppering the vile and returning it to a cabinet beside my cot with a light clatter. "It shouldn't take long to take effect and I assure you that you'll feel much more relaxed. Why don't you lie down and wait for your escort?"

"Okay, thank you." 

I shimmied down to lie in the cot on my back, still rolling the bitter taste around my mouth in hopes of it dissipating the flavour. To no avail. Gross. I stared up at the ceiling and traced the lines in the stonework, beginning to feel calmer already. Farrah was right about it being fast-acting. He was also right that I wouldn't become drowsy; I still felt alert, but I could also feel the stress and anxiety begin to melt away. My thoughts seemed to become clearer as well, less jumbled.

Maybe the bond was inadvertently filling my brain space with the inner workings of the vampire Queens. Was I going to lose myself to her? Would I be shoved into some dark corner of my mind to accommodate her within myself? I lay there, swimming in my thoughts for a while, trying to determine how much of my mind was me and how much was her. I still felt like myself. I didn't particularly feel like there was an overwhelming vampire presence in my head. Would that change? Maybe the longer I was bonded to the Queen the more I'd disappear. If I could learn to control the bond, like exercising a muscle, I could prevent that.

Instinctively, before I formed a conscious thought, I felt my mind reach for that tickle. Gentle static filled my head as I  dipped into its power. Like some kind of portal, I was suddenly transported outside. I tried to look around, but I couldn't, I wasn't in control I realised as I climbed one stone step after another. Brief flashes of familiar faces danced at my peripherals: Desirae as a child, her mother, her father. They were all smiles as they danced and laughed together, Desirae spinning and spinning in circles as the skirt of her dress twirled with her.