Chapter Twenty-Four

Free.

She'd set me free.

Leaving everything behind me, stripping off and shifting into my wolf, I sprinted for my forest.

Part of me didn't believe that she meant it, that this was some kind of test, and that her guards were mere seconds from dragging me back. Another part of me-part that ached for the wilds-suspected that this was going to be my only chance of escape. It was now or never, and yet...

There was another piece of me.

A piece that couldn't reconcile the joy with the ache in my chest.

My legs flew beneath me and my lungs burned. I ran and ran but no matter how much distance I put between myself and them...her. This ache...

My chest.

My heart.

I found myself stumbling, slowing to a walk, and then halting altogether. Standing on shaking limbs, vehemently panting, saliva dripping from my tongue to the moss floor below. It was all I could do not to collapse. Something wasn't right. This wasn't right.

Shifting to human among the sprawling ferns, I sank to my knees, clutching my chest.

It hurt.

Everything hurt.

My lungs rasped with the effort to gulp down a breath and I doubled over, fisting moss in my hands, grimacing. My vision became blurred. What was happening? What was wrong with me?

Something wet touched my forearm and I sat up, tilting my head to the thick canopy.

Rain?

Another drop trailed down my face, following the line of my throat.

I was crying.

Why was I crying? I should have been running and swimming and hunting and howling with elation, not falling to pieces on the forest floor.

The Queen had let me go.

She'd let me go.

I was free, damn it!

The beat of my heart pounded in my ears and her voice filled my mind.

You are the wolf I chose.

Trying to dispel her from my thoughts, I roared into the darkness, throwing the moss still in my hands clear across the forest. Desirae had given me exactly what I'd wanted but I still didn't feel the way I should. Why not?

I hope that one day you don't despise being by my side.

I hadn't.

I didn't.

She was a vampire and I barely knew her in all honesty, but she'd shown me such kindness, and when she looked at me...

It's like she saw me.

All of me.

I'd sworn to be her guardian and to keep her safe but the second I got the chance, I bolted, abandoning her. The thought made me sick to my stomach. It seemed that's all I was good for. First I abandoned my pack, and now the vampire Queen.

Well, no more.

Choking out a sob I got to my feet. Shifting, I wheeled around, racing double time in the direction I'd come from. My mind was made up.

No more running from my problems.

No more hiding from my truths.

No more lying to myself.