Chapter Six

The Queens abrupt exit left me with emotional whiplash. She'd disturbed the steam surrounding me and it was like a visible whirlwind to match my scattered thoughts and, trying to give order to them, I ran my fingers through my damp waves.

    Why had Desirae left so abruptly? I still had so many questions that I wanted to ask about Isis and Talonious. There were more intricacies about the bond that I wanted to know as well. Was there really a way out? Sure it sounded difficult, possibly risky too, but it gave me hope to hear that it could be done. Maybe I didn't need to stay bonded to a vampire forever.

My fingers stopped their task halfway through my hairs length; a pang of doubt held them captive. Was it such a bad thing to be bonded to Desirae? As far as vampires went she was exceptional. She was beautiful. She was strong, She was brave. She was ... amazing.

I recalled the way she'd tried not to stare at me for too long. At first I thought it was because she wanted to give me my privacy, but what if I was mistaken. It took all of my senses to keep track of the queen without letting her know that I was watching her, but I noticed things. Things I'm sure she would rather I didn't. To me, it almost seemed like it had been an effort to remain where she was as I dressed. It was like she was fighting some inner battle with herself.

Recalling the way her eyes had finally come to rest on me though. They shimmered with such crystalline beauty that all I could do was stare. I'd wanted her opinion, I think I may have even wanted her to compliment me, but she didn't offer a single one. The queen simply stood, statuesque, barely breathing. I ... I think I liked the way she stared. I knew I shouldn't, but there was something in Desirae's gaze that held me and made me feel ... safe.

I took a shaky breath. Desirae-the Queen-was a vampire. I couldn't feel this way for a vampire! I was already in a big enough mess for feeling things I shouldn't, I couldn't lose myself to my emotions. Not again.

No matter how badly I wanted to.

Survival was key, and to survive, I needed to be smart. One step at a time I told myself, making my way out of the catacombs. The air seemed cold compared to the muggy atmosphere of the bathing springs and I wrapped my arms around myself for comfort.

    It was eerie to wander around alone inside of a castle I knew was full of vampires. I made sure my guard was up as I walked the candle lit halls, my senses tracking every sound and movement so I wasn't surprised by a fanged monster. I couldn't help but realise that whenever Desirae was around I didn't feel nearly as as on edge as when she was absent. It was strange but ... nice.

"Stop!"

The command was whispered, but it was harsh and held enough power that I stopped in my tracks. A tall figure shrouded in shadow was about forty feet down the hall from where I stood and I was about to crouch defensively when a second voice answered the first.

"Why? You don't command me!" It was Eric.

Realising that they hadn't actually sensed me yet, I clung to the shadows and remained as close to the walls as I could.

"I may not command you directly but I do serve the Queen, I'm sure I don't need to remind you of that, Hunter." The first voice spoke again and I knew I'd heard it before ... Samuel, the Queens advisor. Why were these two down here?

There was silence and I assumed that Eric was being a bit more careful with his words. I thought back to how Desirae had held his heart in her hand while it beat within his chest. I'm sure that would make anyone think twice about disrespecting someone so close to the Queens ear.

"Alright," Eric sighed. "Continue."

"As I was saying," Samuel's tone was pointed, "you need to make amends to the Queen."