Chapter Nine

"Is everything alright, my Queen?"

     I exited the garden to see Sebastian peering around the hedges, hand resting on the hilt of his sword. His expression relaxed somewhat once I appeared but his body still seemed poised for action.

     "Peace, Sebastian. The little wolf is young and I thought that she could use a moment to collect herself is all." I rearranged the folds of my dress to step back inside the protection of my guards, simultaneously avoiding Sebastian's inquisitive gaze.

     "If you are having doubts as to her capabilities it isn't too late to choose another guardian," he said.

     "I imagine that my people wouldn't look to an indecisive ruler with much confidence, do you?" I gave him a pointed look and he at least had enough decency to look contrite.

     Out of everyone within my small circle I knew that Sebastian was aware of the precarious position I was in. I had to be very careful in the way that I made decisions as I had an entire kingdom watching me, judging.

     Just then, Alana came into view from the garden. Her expression revealed nothing as to what had transpired within the garden but I knew that something had changed within her. I couldn't even really explain it. She was just ... calm.

     A small breeze picked up some loose strands of Alana's hair as she made her way over to me and she looked every part the warrior in that armour. I couldn't help but look down at the hand that still rested on the hilt of her sword. The nightmare from last night flashed before my eyes once more. My stomach churned with the image of Alana repeatedly throwing herself on her sword, all the while screaming at me that she could never forgive me. It was all I could do to shake it off before anyone noticed.

     "Are you alright?" Alana queried, peering at me with her jade eyes.

     She'd noticed. She always seemed to notice the things I didn't want known.

     I gave a queenly smile and nodded once, "of course."

     Alana held my gaze for a moment more before Sebastian chimed in.

     "Shall we continue on, your majesty?"

     "Lead the way," I replied.

     Onward we walked until we reached a spacious courtyard. I watched as Alana marvelled at the heroic statues spaced equidistant from one another. They stood majestically on either side of us leading to a stone flight of stairs.

    "Who are they meant to be?" She asked, barely tearing her gaze away from them.

     I marvelled briefly along with her as if I was seeing the statues for the first time myself. "I suppose the humans may call them our versions of gods."

     "Are they?" She asked, a hint of wonder in her eyes as she glanced at a statue wearing armour that didn't look too dissimilar to her own. I smiled slightly to myself.

     "No, not really," I said matter of factly as we began our ascent up the stairs. "These statues simply represent heroes of legend so far removed from history that they almost seem mythical."

     Alana nodded, her gaze distant as if she was absorbing all of this information.

     "That statue back there," she said gesturing behind us to the one I'd seen her admiring, "who is that meant to be?"