Chapter Eight

There was something comforting about resting my hand on the hilt of a sword, and it wasn't just any sword either. It was my sword. Knowing that Navine had taken the time to personally design and handcraft such a fine piece of weaponry simply amazed me. He was a gifted blacksmith and I was grateful to him. It didn't appear that he'd used second rate materials or cut corners because he was making a weapon for a wolf instead of a vampire warrior, he simply did his job to the best of his ability because he loved it. I knew that this sword would hold up against the brutal of attacks ... perhaps it was even strong enough to gain me my freedom.

    My gait faltered as my thoughts became a conflicted jumble. None of the vampires around seemed to notice my misstep, or perhaps they simply didn't care. We rounded a corner at the base of the staircase that we'd just descended and a seemingly endless hall paved our way forward. As we marched onward to the ceremony I gazed out of the arched windows to my right. The sun had set some time ago and a blanket of stars draped across the night sky as far as I could see. Such simple beauty seemed to calm my mind enough to allow me to think.

    What if I did try to escape? I knew my combat skills were decent but I'd never used a sword before. Perhaps it would just slow me down. The armour I wore was deceptively light but again it was something I was not used to fighting with. Maybe I could shift into my wolf and simply run as fast as my paws would carry me. Any vampire who stood in my way would a get my fangs buried deep in their flesh.

    ...what if Desirae stood in my way?

    I peeked at the vampire Queen out of the corner of my eye. She truly was royalty. Not only was she beautiful in her gown the way a Queen should be but the way she carried herself was truly something to behold. Her head was always her high and proud yet she never seemed to look down on anyone. She was poised an elegant in every motion but I knew she held a strength within her, both mentally and physically. This vampire ... this woman was extraordinary.

    She'd also saved my life.

    I knew that I'd pledged myself to be her guardian but did I mean it? It was out of self reservation that I'd done that. There had been no choice. It was either become her protector ... or die.

    Lies. My inner voice chided.

    I had been ready to die when I'd crossed paths with Eric that night in the forest. Why hadn't I just continued down that path and ended it myself? I could have. I should have. If I'd taken my own life I wouldn't be here right now heading toward a ceremony that was designed to forever link me to a vampire. I wouldn't be worried about seeing my father and my pack, wondering what kind of vile insults they would hurl my way.

    No, there would be none of that because it would simply have been over.

    That was all before I had met her though.

    Not only had she saved my life but there was something about her that I just couldn't put my finger on. She was different from the rest. Desirae didn't make me afraid. She didn't take advantage of ur situation as I'm sure most others would have, and it always seemed like she ... cared.

    She cared if I was anxious.

    She cared if I was scared.

    She cared if my boundaries were being crossed.

    She cared about ... me, perhaps.

    It was this selflessness that made me want to continue living. I wanted to repay her for all that she'd done for me and I wanted to make sure that she was safe in return. There was a piece of me that yearned to understand the intricacies of this vampire Queen. Why did she do the things she did? Did I matter to her as an individual or was a just a piece on her chess board that served a convenient purpose?