September 15th, 2026

This could very well be the last one of these. Not because I am going to stop writing them, but because I might be dead in the next few days. After what happened at the church I am scared to death. Lucas was getting sick of my paranoia, until he had a change of heart a few days ago.

Actually, until then even me and Kate were starting to settle down a little. Then one morning the dogs woke us up while it was still dark so they could go pee. How that many dogs could need to pee at the exact same time is beyond me. I guess that is better than having them going out six different times.

It had actually become something of a joke between us. Those dogs were like our kids and we each took turns getting up with them. This time it was my turn. A lot of the time Kate would still come out with me, but she didn't this time. She hasn't been sleeping too well since the church and I am glad she decided to stay in bed to try to get some sleep.

I really wasn't sleeping all that great either. It was hard to get the memory of the church out of my head. I still thought about Elena quite a bit too. It had been three, four months since she died. It still hurts a lot, but I have to admit it's not quite as bad as it used to be. I can still remember how she smelled in her favorite perfume, and her touch. If I focus enough I can almost trick my brain into thinking her hand is on mine. But it doesn't make me sad as much as make me smile.

When I opened the door the dogs nearly knocked me down to get out. They took off running so fast I almost forgot to grab a shotgun before I went out.

I was wondering why the hell the dogs were this determined to get outside. When I turned on my flashlight I found out why. Right next to the car was a damned coffin. All six of the dogs were lined up around it barking like crazy. This was why they wanted to bad. They heard this thing being dropped off.

As soon as I saw it I let off a shot into the air, both to scare away anyone that might still be around, and to get Lucas's and Kate's attention. Can you think of a better wake up call than a 12 gauge?

They came running out bleary eyed and holding guns, not the best combination now that I think about it.

They didn't even ask what was going on, they didn't need to. The coffin was there, in plain sight. After we put the dogs back into the house, which really pissed them off, we decided to open the coffin. None of us wanted to, but for all we knew someone was using it as some crazy trojan horse.

Thankfully the thing was empty, but that didn't stop Kate from putting a round into it as the lid flew open from nerves. I'm lucky she didn't blow my hand off. I'm sure I will think it was funny as hell one day; assuming I live long enough.

Lucas was the first one to offer an intelligent option. He made us all go back inside. He covered us as we went back. It was just our own kind of training kicking in. Whoever was the last one made sure no one was following us. It took us a minute to get back in because the dogs were still trying to get out. This time they were growling, but they weren't pissed at us. They wanted to rip apart some bastards.

Lucas never saw the one who shot him with the arrow. It went straight into his leg and he was on the ground. When he went down instinct kicked in. We let the dogs go and they immediately ran past the car and the coffin. They could smell the guy who shot Lucas. Kate fired a few rounds over the heads of the dogs in the same direction. Chances are she wouldn't hit anything but only a moron would still be around with six pissed off dogs chasing after them and someone shooting at them all at the same time.

We waited for a few minutes and the dogs started to trickle back, one by one. They would glance back at the way they came a couple of times, but they seemed satisfied that whatever was out there was gone. Once they saw Lucas on the ground they immediately went to his side and started sniffing at his leg.

When Kate and I looked at it we w both worried. How the hell would he get this arrow out with ripping his leg to pieces in the process. Still though, we had to try. We couldn't just leave it there.

As it turned out we got a little bit lucky getting the arrow out, as stupid as that sounds. Lucas was just barely hit in the very edge of his thigh. The arrow went all the way through and was sticking out of his leg. All we had to do was break off one end and pull it the rest of the way out. I am sure it hurt like hell. The screaming that Lucas let loose kind of gave that away.

It took forever to get the bleeding to stop long enough to be able to see well enough to stitch up the two holes. The sewing looked like crap, but at least it stopped bleeding. Lucas was forced to limp around like a zombie. He tried not to move too much so he didn't tear open the wounds. I just hope it doesn't get infected. For all we knew there was something on that arrow. We used enough alcohol to get an elephant drunk to clean it.

The next morning I went out to drag away the coffin with the car and I spotted something that we all missed the night before. There was a piece of paper laying inside it that just said "We know". Of course we aren't stupid enough to miss the message. I would love to know how they were so sure it was that it was us who entered their church. I suppose they could have seen us, or perhaps we were the only ones close to them?

The thing is we were more than willing to leave them alone to do their thing. They had been just a few miles away for this long. If not for our crappy luck it would have stayed that way. If the coffin and the note had been all, then we would have happily left them alone, but for some reason they decided to put an arrow into Lucas. If me and Kate had never went into that damn place none of this would have ever happened.

That was all done and over now. The only thing that mattered was what to do next. We all assumed that they would be back eventually. We hoped it would be later rather than sooner to give Lucas time to heal.

We all agreed that leaving wasn't going to happen. For two reasons. One, we had a great and safe set up here, we would be idiots to give it up. Two, for all we know these people have hurt others, or maybe even start using live subjects instead of corpses. What if some poor bastard got curious like we did? The world and all its laws may have been gone, but that doesn't mean that we can let people do whatever the hell they want. They had to go.

We came up with all sorts of plans. Most involved killing them. We figured they would be as stubborn as we were being about the idea of leaving. Lucas was the one that came up with the best plan. It would also be the hardest one to pull off. We argued, all three of us. It was the first time in a long time that I yelled at my best friend, and the very first time I ever raised my voice to Kate. That felt even more wrong than yelling at Lucas somehow.

When we finally agreed, we were all pissed off, but we went with Lucas's plan. The worst part was the fact someone needs to go, alone, to scout out the church and find when they will actually be there. That will be my job.

Kate offered to go, but both me and Lucas both refused to allow it. I guess some of our caveman-like attitudes to protect Kate die hard. Truth be told she is probably better for the job than we are. She is smaller, quieter and honestly faster than either us, but I just can't bring myself to let her go. I already lost Elena because I wasn't more forceful. I wouldn't lose another friend the same way.

I go in just a few minutes for the first scouting mission. I have to admit I think I am going to be killed. We have kept at least two of the dogs outside all the time now. I am hoping they will let us know if anyone gets too close to the house. At the same time I hope these psychos don't hurt them. I doubt they would care too much about hurting a husky

I suppose my reward for pulling this off will be the next entry.

Who wouldn't like to have some creepy cult chasing them after the world came to end? Sounds a like a good way to pass the time. You know, to break up the monotony. Next chapter will be posted soon.