Chapter 31: Reputation

Hazel was standing in the wings, watching Benji perform, waiting for her turn to go on. It had been a tense week on the show, with the rumors about her and Benji swirling. She'd issued a formal denial, and the producers had even wanted her to take a pregnancy test, but she'd refused. She didn't know who to trust, and the fact of taking the test alone could be viewed as confirmation that she thought she might be pregnant, which was almost like admitting that she was.

Instead, she'd followed Kate's plan to a T, working out daily with Kate's trainer with a special focus on her abs, eating no carbs or salt to prevent bloating and being seen running up the hill to Universal Studios in the hardest workout she'd ever done.

Benji had agreed to do the workouts with her, so they were presenting a united front. If people thought they'd broken up, everyone would assume it was because of the pregnancy which would reflect badly on him.

Benji tried to make the workouts fun, and he had strict instructions never to make it look like he was coddling her or checking that she was okay. It was insane how many rules there were, but Hazel was down five pounds, which was ridiculous and not sustainable, but all she had to do was last through her performance to make this stick.

"Don't touch your stomach," Nick almost growled in her ear.

"I'm hungry."

"You can eat after the show. You look great by the way."

Hazel's outfit was something she couldn't believe she was wearing. It was a dress Kate had procured for her, a tight figure-hugging number with a cutout that exposed most of her stomach. There was no missing the message it sent: Hazel was NOT PREGNANT.

To put a definitive point on it, Hazel was going to be singing "Fight Song," a rocking number that required her to execute some dance moves that were harder than anything she'd done in a long, long time.

She could deny all the rumors she wanted, but unless she showed the audience she wasn't pregnant, she was going home. It was stupid and antiquated and part of her wished she could be the one to change it. But she'd caused enough trouble with her attempt to take out Martin, and there were only so many battles one woman could fight.

"Thanks, Nick," Hazel said.

"Maybe later, I can come to your room and ..." He got closer to her ear and suggested something that made her knees quiver.

Despite his promises after their first night together, they hadn't been spending every night since then on repeat. Given the scrutiny Hazel was facing, they agreed it would be best for them to put their relationship on hold. That didn't mean he couldn't send her suggestive texts, which he did at the most unexpected moments.

"I'd like that very much," Hazel said. "But only after I eat a hamburger, or two."

"Hazel, you're on after commercial break," one of backstage hands said as he gave her a once over. If she did get kicked off, it wasn't going to be for lack of trying.

"Ready, Hazel?" Nick asked as the commercial in-between music started up.

"Ready."

Benji walked off stage and did a double take. "Whoa. You look fantastic."

"Thanks, Benji. You did a great job out there, as always."

"Thanks. Listen, Hazel ..." Benji eyed Nick, who stepped away to give them a moment. "For the record, I don't agree with what's been happening to you."

"Thanks, Benji. I didn't think you did."

"I know, but it's important to say it sometimes." He leaned in and kissed her cheek. "Blow them away out there."