Chapter 45: First Time In Forever

The rest of the ceremony went on without a hitch. Once it was over, we left the auditorium and went to the crowded hallway where the parents were meeting up with their kids. I searched for Kyle and easily found him running up to us, his hands filled with a trophy and plaque.

A sudden wave of emotion came over me at the sight, and a stream of tears started falling down my face.

"Mom," Kyle frowned. "You promised you wouldn't cry."

"I know, but I can't help it," I said before pulling him into a hug. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks," he said, but didn't pull away.

I took advantage of his stillness and quickly grabbed his face and started peppering kisses all over it.

"Mom!" he groaned, but still didn't move away. He was loving it even if he didn't want to admit it.

I eventually let him go, and he proceeded to try and wipe whatever lipstick I had left on his face.

"Are you starting kissing me too?" he asked my mom.

"No," she answered. "Unlike your mother actually I respect your boundaries."

"Oh please," I rolled my eyes, "She's just going to wait until we're home to do it."

"That's probably true," she chuckled.

Kyle stuffed his trophy and plaque into my purse and we then made our way to the gymnasium where the school had a little get-together with refreshments (provided by the parents and donations) for the students and their guardians. It didn't take long for Kyle to find himself at the refreshments table and excitedly pile his small paper plate up with sweet treats. My mother on the other hand scrutinized everything she saw. I kept my eyes out for a certain someone. I wasn't about to be caught off guard by him just popping up beside me. After our plates were filled, except mom's, we made our way to a table and took a seat.

"Kyle, slow down! You're going to get cake all over your shirt!" I said as he stuffed a piece of cake in his mouth.

" Sorry," he replied, mouth filled.

"And don't talk with your mouth full."

He swallowed a huge gulp, "Sorry."

"I don't know how you could eat this thing," my mother said with her face turned up, poking at the same cake on her plate with her fork.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on mom, they don't even taste that bad."

"They don't but," she squinted her eyes at the plate "...something tastes off."

"Well try something else," I suggested.

"Try the peanut butter cookie, it's really good," Kyle suggested.

My mother hesitantly took a small bite of the cookie. I watched as her face turned from cautious to delighted.

"This actually tastes really good," she said.

"Right?"

"Well, I'll let my mother know that her cookies were enjoyed," came a voice from beside us.

We all looked up and were greeted by the smiling face I had forgotten to keep an eye out for.

"Eli!" Kyle grinned, "You stayed."

"Of course," he said, "Couldn't miss out on all the snacks."

"Wait, are these the same cookies you brought over for Christmas dinner?" My mom asked.

"Same ones," he confirmed, "Expect these ones are way better than the ones tried to make."

"Well let your mother know that I'm going to need this recipe," She said taking another bite. "So good."