Chapter 3: Behind the Anger

Kendra...

"I can't believe you ran away from him," Iris said, arms raised in disbelief

We were at the office, about the leave our desks for our lunch break.

"I didn't run away, I had to leave," I answered

"You're really going to use your son as an excuse? That's low Ken."

It's been a few days since the event and I hoped that was the last I saw or heard of Josh. But he had called Iris and told her that I ran away from him.

I sighed in defeat "Ok, I ran away."

Her disappointment in me was all over her face.

"Couldn't you have just given him a chance? He's a really nice guy," she said

"I was willing to," I admitted "But I found out who his father was."

"Governor Rogers? Why would he change your mind?" she asked in confusion before her eyes widened "Are you a Republican?" she whispered

"What? What does that have to do with anything?"

"I mean, why else would you not like a Democratic Governor?"

"No, that's not the reason why."

"So, a difference in policy has nothing to do with it?"

"No. And I don't hate the man...I just..."

Iris didn't know much about my past, and she wasn't going to. Not now at least. This was just one of those things I kept to myself. The only people who know are my mother and the therapist she made me see when it all happened.

Kyle didn't know anything, but I knew at some point, he would want to know what really went down. "Your daddy had to go away" held no more weight. I often wondered if I would tell him the whole truth. Did he have to know about the money? The money that still came at the end of the year and that I never touch?

Iris stood there staring, waiting for an answer. And I stared back, trying to come up with a good excuse. But then my phone rang, saving me the mental energy.

I grabbed it from the desk and quickly answered.

"Hello?"

"Mrs. Wright?" An unfamiliar voice said on the other end

"Yes, this is her," I answered, ignoring the need to correct her

"I'm calling from Winston Elementary. It's about your son, Kyle Wright. We need you to come down to the school immediately," the woman answered

"Is he OK?" I asked, worry settling in

"Your son is fine ma'am. Just get here as soon as you can."

"I'm on my way," I said before hanging up

I quickly grabbed my bag and placed my cellphone in it.

"Wait, where are you going? This conversation isn't over," said Iris

"Kyle's school just called. There's something wrong."

"Oh," she said, her anger quickly disappearing "Go, I'll talk to Mr. Copper"

"Thanks," I said and headed to the elevators

It didn't take that long to get to the school, traffic wasn't as bad as it usually was. I was let into the principal's office by the secretary, who I then realized was the one who called. In the room sat the principal, my son, two other boys and four adults who seemed to be their parents. One couple was white, the other black.