Prologue

Darrell hated coronations. Even his own.

"Today, we gather here to crown my son, Prince Darrell Hawthorne of Wolfsbane Union as the new Alpha King of our territory!" Luna Queen--and Darrell's mother--Louraine Hawthorne announced over the large crowd surrounding the platform that held their thrones above the loyal subjects before them.

She stood tall in an extravagant royal blue dress that hugged her snuggly. Her dark brown hair was tied up in a bun to showcase her beautiful bejeweled crown. Her dark skin was clear, void of any blemishes. This made her the prettiest woman in all the Union since she was never required to paint her face all prettily. And her light, ice blue eyes surveyed the hoard of Lycan shifters in front of them.

"Foreside Hill, it is my honor to become your king! As the new King of Wolfsbane Union, I promise to do everything in my power to keep us protected. To extend our lands. To multiply our food. To strengthen our warriors. To avoid going to war." Darrell flash a practiced grin and stood up straight, keeping his arms at his sides. This was what he was supposed to do in a public but royal occasion.

He only ever relaxed in the privacy of his personal chambers, but now he was becoming King. Which meant he had less privacy than he had before. Yay.

The crowd erupted at his comment. When they calmed down, his mother began again.

Louraine turned towards Darrell, a large smile on her pretty face as she reached beside her to grab the overly decorated crown off of a plush purple cushion. "My son, I, Luna Queen Louraine Hawthorne crown you as the new Alpha King of Wolfsbane Union. Repeat the oath after me."

As Darrell repeated the words his mother gave him, he wasn't aware that in the very crowd that stood before him, there was a little girl with dark chocolate skin, black corkscrew curls, and beautiful brown eyes begging a man for mercy.

"P-please! I didn't do it!" she cried out from her curled up position on the ground, holding her hands above her to protect her face.

"You lie, you little black whore! You stole my wallet," the man in front of her snapped, an evil grin on his face. "And I will make sure you pay for it."

"No, please!" the little girl tried to plead once more.

A few people around them glanced in her direction, but then looked away as if nothing wrong was happening. That's what happens when you're a little black girl in a city full of whites. Most of them didn't care. Sometimes it was nice, but other times it wasn't when some of the whites--mostly men--would call Jazlyn harsh names and smack her around. Then, no one really cared.

That was part of the reason her father didn't like her going to the city alone. Especially with her being just a pup. Her wolf hadn't kicked in yet to where she could control it all on her own. Sometimes she'd have physical signs such as a tail and ears, but usually it was the overpowering sense of smell or the ear-splitting increased volume of the noise around her.

But today was the new King's coronation. She wanted to see it. So after tons of begging, her parents took her into town so she could see the royals and hope. She wanted to hope that this King would love all of his loyal subjects equally. Even her and her parents. He was handsome, too. Looking at him made Jazlyn's face flush and little heart flutter in her chest.

King Darrell Hawthorne of Wolfsbane Union was wearing a dark blue cloak over black trousers and a formal tunic. He was big and bulky--not as the last King, but he was sure to fill out--and had the face of a warrior. He looked so much like his mother, there was no way you could tell people they weren't related. His dark, fluffy brown hair was combed back as his icy blue eyes didn't match the smile he was gifting the people of Foreside Hill. His dark skin was being kissed by the sun, possibly getting darker under it's hot gaze.