Eight

A/N: Sorry for the late updates, guys. I probably should set up scheduled days to publish new chapters. But I hope you enjoy the story. And if you're waiting, I have other books, too. But now I'll let you get back to the good part.

★★★★★★★★★★

Relief washed over Darrell as he stood before his mother in the library. Odd. It seemed like she was alone.

"Did you have an escort, Mother?" he asked, looking around.

Louraine rolled her eyes. "I don't need an escort going to the library, Darrell. Isn't that right, Zunya?"

"Completely true," the old librarian snipped from behind the extravagant mahogany desk.

Ignoring the old coot, Darrell clenched his jaw. "Mother, you know how I feel about you wandering around the castle alone."

"This was my castle. And I don't wander about my own home. I shouldn't even have to feel endangered in my own home," Louraine snapped, crossing her arms. "Your father was killed in a public outing. I'm in my home."

"But you're also sick," Darrell said, anger rising in his belly. His mother always had to do something like this to tick him off. "What if no one was around and you fell? No one could get to you in time."

"Darrell, there are people all around this castle," she countered, not leaving his intense gaze. "And calm down. I'm not decrepit."

"I'm just saying that you need to be aware of my concerns and at least respect them since I am your son," the King said sternly. "At least take a handmaid or another lady with you."

Louraine stared at Darrell, studying his face for a moment before her features softened. "Okay. I'll try to not be so carefree when it comes to me wandering around the castle."

An amused smile stretched across Darrell's lips. "I thought you didn't 'wander' around your own home?"

"I don't. Now, why have you come looking for me?" she asked, crossing her arms.

Darrell swallowed hard and reached his hand up to scratch the back of his neck. "I wanted to talk to you about our guest." Louraine tensed, causing Darrell's brows to furrow in confusion. "Mother? Are you alright?"

She relaxed and gave him an intrigued look as she said, "I'm fine, dear. Now, what about our guest? I believe you haven't introduced her to me."

"Do you remember the little black girl that was attacked at my coronation?" Darrell slowly asked. Somehow it was hard to force the words out.

"I do," Louraine said, folding her hands together in front of her. "What about her?"

"That is our guest. Apparently, she is a healer. But what's more intriguing is that she might be an Alonyra," he explained, watching the words slowly sink into his mother's mind.

She gasped and stumbled back, a hand flying to her chest. "Are you sure?" She glanced to the shelves and nibbled on her lip. "Have you discussed this with the girl?"

Darrell shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I can't, Mother. The other night her parents were slaughtered. She is the only black woman within miles of this castle and she feels like we all pity her. She feels like she doesn't belong. I don't want to overwhelm her or put too much pressure on her based on wild guesses and accusations."

"I think she is stronger than you realize, Darrell," Louraine said, planting her hands into her hips. "People who go through such terrible events become stronger than the average person. Mentally if not physically. I think she can handle this information if you just talk to her about it."