Five

The entire carriage ride was filled with the bickering of the future Queen and Jazlyn.

Jazlyn crossed her arms, feeling multiple emotions bubble in the bottom of her gut. "Excuse me, but I thought you suggesting me being your Lady in Waiting was an offer. If I wanted to, I could jump out of this carriage right now."

She saw the King straighten up at her comment. Olena didn't notice as she grabbed Jazlyn's hands like she did the night before. "Come on, Jazlyn! I couldn't bare to see you being kept down with the maids. I want you to spend your time with me!"

Jazlyn hated the thought of just going straight to being pampered. Her father had worked his way hard through life, never taking a break. He was occupied with work and then his family. Jazlyn only knew how much sleep he got every night.

"How about a personal handmaid?" Jazlyn suggested before she broke down into tears again. She blinked back the former, stuffing down a sob.

Olena stuck out her bottom lip in a pout. "Fine. But you won't be sleeping with the maids. You get your own personal room."

"Olena, I can't," Jazlyn said, nibbling on her bottom lip. There was no way she could do that and still have dignity for her father's hard work.

"You can. And you will. That's final," Olena snapped, releasing Jazlyn's hands.

Jazlyn finished the entire ride back to the castle in silence, wondering why they were being so nice to her. They obviously pitied her. She was almost dominated by three grown men and her parents were slaughtered in the same night.

Just thinking about it, Jazlyn felt the lump form in her throat. She swallowed it back and blinked back the tears.

At dusk, the carriage rode up upon the front gates of the outer walls of the castle. Jazlyn gasped in awe as the big, iron door was hauled open and the carriage moved through it.

The castle was even more luxurious than Jazlyn had thought. She pushed herself up against the carriage window, wincing at the pressure applied to the large bruise on her ribs.

She found it this morning when Olena was dressing her. Even Olena had commented on it. But Jazlyn told her that she was fine. Which she was. Her father was a healer. But he hadn't done much caring for people for years.

The carriage stopped in front of the steeple of the castle, and Jazlyn sucked in a breath, admiring how amazing the castle looked. A gentle tap on her shoulder made her tear her gaze off of her new home.

The King stood outside of the carriage, a hand extended for her. She placed her hand in it and picked up the front of her dress so she didn't step on it as she descended the carriage.

Olena had already disappeared into the castle. It seemed as of she was ready to be home. Jazlyn still missed the place she used to call home with her parents.

She hugged herself tight and shivered even though the air was warm. This was all foreign territory to her.

The King nudged her forward. "It's okay. Go on in. This is your home now."

Jazlyn swallowed down the lump in her throat and forced her feet to move. She couldn't believe that this was all really happening. Her parents were really dead. Her parents' house was drenched in their blood. And now she was living in the Lycan castle with the King and his future Luna Queen.

The fact that he rescued her again caused her to feel guilty, like she wasn't good enough to even walk this planet alive. She had been rescued twice and sheltered by her parents her entire life.

"Can I be shown to my room?" Jazlyn asked, keeping her gaze on the floor under her feet. "I'm exhausted."

"Of course. Follow me," the King said, offering his elbow.