Seven

Jazlyn couldn't believe how beautiful the gardens were. She had to release Lewis's arm multiple times so she could touch all of the flowers and their silky petals.

"These are gorgeous," she whispered, brushing her finger along a large purple and blue flower.

She didn't know Lewis was behind her until his body was pressed up against her so he could touch the flower she was touching. "Not as gorgeous as you, Lady Jazlyn."

Heat crept up to her cheeks as she swallowed the saliva that quickly gathered on her tongue. "Th-thank you."

"Do you not have a mate?" he growled in her ear.

She shook her head, feeling her curls bounce around her shoulders. "I'm not old enough to know yet."

"How old are you?" Lewis asked.

Jazlyn stroked a yellow and orange petal. "Twenty."

Lewis placed a hand on her hip. "When do you get older?"

Jazlyn sucked in a deep breath, cradling another flower in both hands, ignoring his touch. "In a month."

"A month? What day?" he asked, pressing her body closer to his.

Jazlyn cleared her throat and stood, plucking a flower and playing with it with her fingers. "Moonlight Dance Day."

He backed away from her, shock painting his features. "Well, aren't you full of mysterious surprises. Shall I escort you to your chambers?"

Jazlyn shook her head. "If you have something to do, go on. I'm going to continue to look at the pretty flowers."

Lewis nibbled on his lip, glancing back at the castle. "I don't like leaving you out here by yourself, my lady."

"I'll be fine. If I need anything, I can call the guards," she said, moving her attention to a red and black flower.

"I'll send for one of them to accompany you," Lewis said before his footsteps trailed away.

Jazlyn rolled her eyes before returning them to the garden of flowers. They were all so very beautiful. She wondered if she was allowed to pick one.

"Hello, child," a woman's voice said from behind Jazlyn, startling her.

She jumped and spun around, meeting the gaze of a very beautiful woman. Long, silky brown hair cascaded down her shoulders as diamond blue eyes swallowed up Jazlyn's appearance.

It was the late Luna Queen.

"Y-Your Highness!" Jazlyn squeaked, dropping to her knees.

"None of that, dear. On your feet or you'll ruin that gorgeous dress," Queen Louraine said, gesturing for Jazlyn to stand. "What is your name?"

Jazlyn stood up and ran her palms along the skirt of the dress. "Jazlyn Wildheart."

"I recognize you," she muttered, circling Jazlyn like a hawk. Jazlyn couldn't help but squirm under the Queen's gaze. "Twelve years ago. You were the child in Foreside Hill that was mauled, weren't you? The scar says it all."

Upon hearing her words, Jazlyn's stomach dropped to her feet and she touched the side of her face, feeling the scar tissue beneath her finger tips. "Yes, that was me."

"I apologize if it's a touchy subject for you, my dear. But if it's any consolation, you look simply dazzling with the scar. You would look less without it," Queen Louraine said, finally stopping in front of Jazlyn. She reached up her hand and traced the scars.

Jazlyn bit her lip. No one has ever touched her scar except her. It was nice to know that someone wasn't disgusted by it.

"I'm sorry this happened to you," the Queen whispered, flattening her palm against the side of Jazlyn's face before brushing a thumb over the scar tissue. "I'm glad the man who did this is now dead."