Thirteen

A/N sorry for the really late chapter! I was pregnant and had a beautiful baby girl a couple of months ago so it's hard to try and find time to write. But I slowly got here! Hope you enjoy!

Jazlyn awoke with her head throbbing in pain. Next to her, with his big arms cradling her, was Darrell. He was sleeping.

She lifted her head, trying to catch a glimpse of any light through the window to tell her what time of day it was. From the dim lighting outside, it was dusk. Jazlyn rolled over and Darrell's eyes popped open.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," he mumbled in a thick, husky voice. It sent shivers down Jazlyn's spine.

She smiled wide and stretched. "Good morning, my King. How did you sleep?"

"Are you talking about last night's sleep or the entire last two weeks of sleep?" he asked, lifting his hand to pinch her chin between his forefinger and thumb.

With a loud sigh, Jazlyn rolled over. "How can I save your people if I always pass out after barely using my gift?"

Darrell wrapped his arms around her, placing his lips on the crook of her neck. "You mean our people."

"Our people?" she asked with a gasp. Her eyes widened as she whipped her head towards him.

He chuckled and nuzzled into her soft skin. "Yes. Our people. You're going to be Queen."

"Q-Queen?" she spluttered, holding a hand against her chest. "Are you being serious?"

"Super serious."

Jazlyn slipped out of his grasp and pulled herself out of the bed. She stood in front of the vanity, looking at herself. Her hair was matted and tangled, her breath probably smelled rancid, and she looked like she hadn't bathed in weeks. Which she hadn't.

"Well, then," she huffed. "When is our wedding?"

"Tonight."

Jazlyn spun around so fast she heard a crack. "What? Tonight? Are you kidding me?"

"Nope. I had it arranged for the day you awoke. Hurry up, darling. You're getting married in a few hours."

"WHAT?" Jazlyn gasped and her head spun. Her? Get married? To the King? Become Queen? "Oh my."

As she teetered, Darrell got up to catch her. "Easy now, love. I can't have you passing out before we get married now."

"Is it really happening?" She looked up at him and he gave her a soft smile in return.

"Yes, it is, my dear."

Darrell released her and walked towards the door. "I will send a maid to bathe and dress you. See you in a few hours, my love."

Jazlyn sat there in shock. She was getting married? Tonight?

As promised, maids scrambled into the room with a bathing tub, an elegant white dress, and make up. "Hello, Your Highness! Aren't you just thrilled?"

The room seemed to be spinning around her. She felt dizzy. Whenever she was going to get married, she expected a proposal. Someone to get down on one knee and genuinely ask her if she wanted to be his.

Her head felt as if it was going to explode. A horde of feelings she couldn't quite grasp wrapped around her, cutting off her air supply. She gasped for breath, feeling the air fight to get to her lungs.

Short, ragged gasps escaped her lips and all of the maids halted their tasks and stared at Jazlyn. She shook her head. What for? She didn't know. She just shook her head. That's all her body wanted to do as she fought for air.