7. Stranger

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." - Aristotle

Octavia's P.O.V

I groan sitting up on the concrete floor, my head hammering. Still imprisoned in the filthy, gloomy cell. I chuckle to myself playing with the tiny pieces of pebbles on the floor.

It's been two weeks.

I've been in this cell for two weeks. Every day, Silas came to see me, bringing proper food and his famous sandwiches. He'd take me for baths whenever the kings were out and occasional walks to stretch my legs.

We always used our time to get to know each other better, Silas was the Beta of the pack. I found out he was 2their cousin, also a prince. His favorite color was black. He has a mate and he's absolutely in love with her, the pride and adoration in his eye when he talks non-stop about her was proof enough.

I highly doubt I'd ever fall in love with the kings. They are holding me in a cell and I haven't seen either of them since I tried to escape. I truly just want to get far away from them, but I can't help but wonder what it would be like if I ever loved either one of them. I chuckle again, shaking the thought out of my head at the approaching footsteps.

The beaming smile I had on my face in hope that it was Silas again quickly disappeared when I looked up to see cold steel grey eyes. His hair was a mess and he had dark bags under his eyes.

I focused my attention on the pebbles in my hand when I heard him say "You're awake."

No I'm dead

Not responding I hear him sigh "Look Octavia I-I need your help." His voice was so low that I almost didn't catch it.

"And what makes you think I'd help you?" I question him tossing the pebbles to the side and walking up to the cell gate to glare directly at him.

"I don't."

"Good." I tell him, smiling and stretching my muscles and turning around to find back my comfortable position on the hard floor.

"Why are you still here? I thought we just made an agreement that I won't help you." I said, still sensing his presence behind me.

"I'm begging you." He whispered again, I shrugged and continued walking while saying "And I've been begging for my freedom, my screams night after night, I know you hear me, I can feel you standing outside this wall at night listening to my pleas like music...and here I am...still in a cell." I tell him my tone matches his.

There was a pregnant pause when I stood waiting for his response, my back still turned.

"Please...It's-It's Vincenzo...and I don't know what to do or what you did. It's that mark thing you placed on him, he's getting weaker by the day along with our best guards." This time I turned around but I wasn't seeing a cold hearted man who ruled a kingdom. I saw a devastated, hurting man, who's pain, sadness and fear for his brother was bursting at the surface, he looked vulnerable. My heart ached looking at him along with the thought of Vincenzo.

"No. I can't help you...I won't." I tell him pushing back the urge to help him. I refuse to help the man that placed me here. Regardless if he was getting weak due to my doings. His lips pressed together in a thin line with his now cold eyes looking dull he opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes out.

My emotions stirred when his guilt filled eyes pleaded with me once more. Raking my hands through my hair I sigh, my heart skipping beats at the decision I knew I was about to regret. "I'll help you, only on one condition." I tell him folding my arms under my chest.