CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE|| AMARIS

"Hey boss." Sam calls out from the kitchen.

"Good morning, Sam. How'd you sleep?" I ask, walking over to the refrigerator.

"Good at first. Something woke me up though."

"Yeah? What's that?" I ask, struggling to get a bottled water from the top shelf.

"Your moans." He says plainly, handing me the water bottle. "Milo is a lucky man. I mean the things I would do to make you scream my name like that..."

I look up at him in shock. "Do you have a death wish?"

"Not particularly but if that's how I go out, then at least I'd get a taste of heaven before going to hell." He says, smiling at me and I laugh. He's going to get himself killed.

"I'm not sure it'd be worth the agonizing pain my boys would put you through. They could make hell look like salvation." I say, walking past him.

Sam chuckles and jogs a little to catch up to me. "Oh, I'm sure they could. Speaking of the angels of death, what's the point of this meeting?"

"The interviews. First, the boys would like to have a formal interview with you and then once that's done, we'll have you join us in interviewing the others." I say, opening the door to my in-home office.

"Seriously? You want me to help you interview people? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that you trust me but I'm kind of concerned about how trusting you are towards people you don't know that well." Sam says, coming in behind me.

"Our concern exactly. She's much smarter than this. I still don't understand what's going on with her lately." Cassius says, throwing his feet up on my desk and leaning back into my chair.

I sigh and turn around to face Sam. "Are you trying to get kicked out? Because they will kick you out if you keep giving them reasons to."

"Absolutely not. I love it here. Please just don't be so trusting. It could get you killed."

I smile up at him. "Don't worry about me. I've spent a lot of time around a lot of evil people. I can tell when someone has a pure heart. Your life has been unfortunate Sam, but you do deserve to be trusted."

Sam blinks as if he's taken aback by my words and I don't doubt that it's been a really long time since someone has been kind to him. "I- thank you Amaris." He nods and gives me a huge smile.

"Oh. My. God. You have gone soft." Milo says, staring at me in disbelief from the couch next to my desk.

My head snaps to his direction and I glare at him. "I have not. Take that back."

"You have princess. You've found a puppy to train, and you've gone soft." Aiden says, leaning against the wall behind Cassius.

I scoff. "You two are ridiculous. First, I have not gone soft. I could kill all of you in the blink of an eye. Second, Sam is not a puppy, He's a person."

Sam clears his throat and raises his hand. "I don't mind being your puppy."

"Sam be quiet. You're not helping." I snap, glaring at him.

"Yes boss." Sam says, quickly putting his hand down.

"See, you've already trained him." Milo says, getting up and walking over to me.

I sigh and roll my eyes at him. "You are so irritating."

Milo pulls me in by my waist and grazes my lips with his. "Want me to make it up to you?" he whispers in my ear, inhaling my scent.