ten

• ☽ • ☽ ︽ ☾ • ☾ •

Willa has no idea how Derek roped her into going with him to see Peter again.

"You're still taking me to get ice cream after this, right?"

Okay, so it was bribery.

The broody werewolf shoots her a more than unimpressed look. Willa silently sulks at the fact that's more than likely a no.

He had sent her a message earlier asking if she was working today, only to demand her presence as he ran errands when she told him she wasn't scheduled to work at the clinic (she and Deaton had worked out a schedule that works for the both of them in which they each get a day off during the week while the other works the clinic alone until Scott comes in after school). At her counter offer of taking her to get ice cream, he had reluctantly agreed to take her after he finishes running his errands. Liar, she thinks to herself bitterly as she crosses her arms over her chest and gazes out at the passing scenery with a pout.

Derek sighs heavily at her act of petulance, and Willa can only imagine the eye roll he gives her. He doesn't comment on her behavior verbally, though.

Willa huffs after a moment, "Why did you drag me along anyway?"

Derek's brows furrow at her question. Even he seems lost for a moment, seeming to scramble for a response. Eventually, he settles on, "Despite what you might believe, I do actually like having you around, Willa."

Willa detects nothing but sincerity behind his eyes, even more so the longer she searches them for an ulterior motive. She smiles briefly at him, but decides against teasing him since he already seems to feel rather awkward about his previous statement. She likes Derek when he's nice, she decides resolutely.

The two pull into the parking lot of Beacon Hills Crossing Home a few moments later, and Willa follows Derek dutifully inside. Peter's room isn't far from the entrance so they luckily don't encounter any staff besides the receptionist at the front desk who smiles warmly in greeting.

Derek confidently enters the room first, whereas Willa lingers awkwardly by the doorway. She doesn't know what they're doing here since Derek wouldn't tell her, but she doesn't want to intrude should it be a familial moment.

Peter sits in his wheelchair in the middle of the room with his back turned towards the door so he can gaze at the windows. Willa doesn't know why since the blinds are shut, but decides against questioning it too muchーthe man seems to be completely catatonic, so it probably doesn't matter to him how the staff decide to position him.

Derek approaches slowly and cautiously, Willa thinks to not take his uncle by surprise which makes her smileーthe thought is nice, even if Peter doesn't realize what his nephew is doing. Derek sits on the bed beside the older man and levels him with a serious, yet somehow completely pitiful, look as he turns Peter to face him.

Derek casts Willa a quick glance to make sure she's still there. She sends him a reassuring smile and nod before he looks back at his uncle.

"I need your help," Derek begins, swallowing thickly and looking down at his lap. Willa frowns as she wonders how Peter could possibly help him with anything while he's like this. "If you can hear me I need you to give me a sign. Blink, raise a finger, anything, justーjust something to point me in the right direction, okay?"