✧ bones ✧

bones, by orphan_account

3494 words

published 6/8/18

-

"Dave? Do you think this is a good idea?"

"Sure. It'll be fine."

Dave winced when he thought about how stupid he'd been.

"Are you sure? It looks kind of... dangerous."

Krist had been right. Of course. He was always right. But Dave had wanted to slide down the hill on a surfboard. And damn it, but if Dave Grohl wanted to slide down the hill on a surfboard, then Dave Grohl was going to surf down the hill on a surfboard. Fuck the consequences.

Dave stared at the plaster cast glumly.

If Kurt had said something, he probably wouldn't have done it. But Kurt hadn't been there. So he'd done it, almost as if to spite his blonde band mate, whose idea of a good time was a bowl of popcorn, a syringe filled with heroin and a 'H.R. Puffinstuff' marathon on T.V.

He still remembered Kurt's words from the time he'd wanted to try snowboarding. And bungee jumping. And mountain biking.

"You have to get your head out of this extreme sport shit, because if you die, then we'll need to find a new drummer."

"And we'll need a new singer if you OD on heroin!" Dave had shot back. He wasn't sure if he'd hurt Kurt's feelings, but damn it all, Kurt had hurt his. And the worst part was, Kurt had been right.

After spending four hours at a hospital, now at home, sitting and staring at the cast on his wrist, Dave realized the singer had been right.

Fuck you, Kurt.

He'd known, as soon as he came off the board, that things had turned to shit.He'd landed on his shoulder. Put his hand out to save himself. Both heard and felt the sickening crack of breaking bone. The wave of pain. The wave of nausea. Krist had leisurely trotted over, and peered down at him.

"Told you it was dangerous."

"Fuck you, man. How's my board?"

And Krist had held it up, for all the world to see. There wasn't even a fucking scratch on it.

Fuck you, board.

Dave grunted in exasperation, and flopped down onto his bed. A certain degree of unease accompanied the exasperation. When he'd gotten home from the hospital, there'd been a bunch of messages on his answering machine. The first one had been from Krist -

"Hey, just checking up on you, call me back if you can still use the phone (ha-ha)!"

- and the second -

"Me again, I just think I should add that I told Kurt you hurt yourself and went to hospital, and he chucked a mental, dude. Oh... and I may have let it slip you were riding down a hill on a surfboard when you did it... sorry..."

That one made Dave groan. Kurt was gonna kill him when he got his hands on him. But that wasn't the worst of it. Because after that, Kurt called.

"Hey, Moron. Krist told me what happened. Oh fuck, man, he said you hurt your wrist. Is it broken? It better not be broken because if it is, and we have to cancel our upcoming tour, and put the concert on hold, then... shit, David. Just call me back, okay? You fucking moron. I knew this would happen!"

Dave had the sneaking suspicion that Kurt was going to fire him. That or break his other wrist. So he hadn't called back. He'd just unplugged the phone instead to delay any more nasty messages, and proceeded to feel sorry for himself.