❁ lucky to have met you ❁

lucky to have met you, by me!

5110 words

published 11/26/22

-

Paris was always one of the more enchanting cities they'd visit on tour. The snow had fallen ages ago and showed no signs of stopping as they arrived. The city always had a romantic and whimsical atmosphere to it, more than any other place the band would stop at, so it was a great start to Nirvana's highly anticipated (by seemingly everyone but the band themself) European In Utero tour.

This was predominantly because Kurt was simply never in a good mood anymore, and it took just as much of a toll on his bandmates as it did on him. Everyone felt on edge around him, like they were walking on eggshells, afraid that he'd find some reason to become enraged and either hide in a corner for the rest of the night or scream at the nearest person just because he could.

Dave kept overhearing him talk to just about anybody he could about how discontented he was with Dave's drumming and how he was considering replacing him. He said they needed someone more 'rudimentary,' someone more like Dan Peters. Dave found it in striking contrast to the Kurt he'd originally auditioned for, the Kurt who was so pleased with Dave's performance that he was granted a spot in the band after only playing two songs. He found it quite offending and phony, but he realized that if Kurt really wanted to replace him, he would have mentioned it to his face, so Dave tried to forget about it. Kurt liked to bluff a lot.

To everyone else's advantage, Kurt's mood seemed to be heavily improved on this certain occasion, as he met his bandmates in Krist's hotel room the night before the show with two large bags filled with unknown contents. With a smile plastered on his face, he placed the bags on the floor and reached down to take something out of one of them. He held up a black pinstripe suit, looking oddly proud. "I got us all one," he took the outfit in his hands and hastily tossed it at Dave, sitting confused on the bed across from him. He gave everyone their respected attire before holding his own up, putting it against his body. "It's a Knack suit."

Without any questions asked as to why Kurt coordinated this, his bandmates, wanting nothing more than for him to be pleased, complied. It was most likely some sort of joke he'd come up with, supported by the fact he refused to call them anything other than 'Knack' suits. Everyone was gifted a white dress shirt, a pinstriped black vest, matching pants, and a tie, making Kurt's ploy admittedly all the more comical.

Dave chuckled to himself in the venues dressing room as he looked at his reflection, the sight of himself in a suit slightly unnerving. More often than not, during their shows he'd be found behind his drum kit with no shirt and most likely a pair of gym shorts on; maybe jeans if he were feeling extravagant. While he was not used to seeing himself in formal attire, he didn't necessarily think he looked bad, simply different.

In the reflection of the full-length mirror, Dave caught a glimpse of Kurt, who was slowly coming up behind him. Dave's breathing faintly hitched, a frog in his throat as the shorter man came up behind him. Kurt rested his large and all-too-familiar hand on his shoulder, his voice low and soft when he spoke. "You look really good in that." Dave wasn't very shocked, used to Kurt's unpredictability at that point. His attitude was so sporadic and spotty, so much to the point that his mood could change in seconds. Though Dave was fully accustomed to the way Kurt acted, the comment still brought butterflies to his stomach.

"You do too," Dave choked, his words heavy and substantial. He meant it, as much as he hated to admit. Kurt was an extremely good-looking guy, and his beauty seemed amplified in that stupid outfit. Something about the elegance of the suit mixed with the gaunt and disheveled appearance of his face made Dave melt. "But you always do."