Chapter 5

I wake up to shouting, my eyes flickering open and adjusting to the bright light of the sun. Thomas shouts at a bird, picking at one of our food bags and eating the food from it. I groan, wanting to get more sleep but knowing that it's not obtainable right now. As I pick my head up from my pillow, I notice that it wasn't a pillow at all. In fact, it was Newt's chest. A blanket was on top of me as the boy's arm was wrapped around my waist.

I sit up, looking at the boy as he continues to sleep--none of the blanket was on him. Actually, I don't think the blanket was even big enough to go on him as well as me. He must've put it on me after I fell asleep. I gently pick up the boy's arm and place it on the ground, standing up to fold the blanket and put it in my backpack.

"Are the Cranks all gone," I ask Thomas, as the boy stands up and picks up all his stuff.

"Yeah," he mutters, "Come on, we should start moving."

I turn to see Newt getting up, rubbing his eyes before looking at me with a stupid smile. Rolling my eyes, I ruffle his hair before placing the blanket in my backpack and slinging it over my shoulders. The boy gets up and picks up his backpack, following suit. Eventually, Thomas wakes everyone up and we start climbing up out of the rubble.

My eyes land on Winston, a bandage wrapped around his stomach as red stains seep through. I grimace as I remember the image of the Cranks' nails digging into the boy's flesh. I shake my head, getting the thought out as I follow Thomas up.

We all stop at the breathtaking view ahead of us. Buildings--looking like they've been torn down and abandoned for years--surround us while sand fills the wasteland. 

"So this is the remains of a city after the sun flares, huh," I shudder, taking in the sight.

"Part of me is glad that I don't remember my past for once," Newt comments from beside me. "Well, at least this part of my past."

We continue walking through the destroyed city, making our way through what we guessed to be former roads. Only destruction could be seen all around us, as broken concrete and cars sit on the sides of the path.

"Looks like nobody's been here in a long time," Newt notes.

"I just hope the rest of the world isn't like this," Aris lets out with a sigh.

Suddenly, Thomas stops behind us. "Woah- wait. Do you guys hear that?"

We all stop, standing in silence as we listen around us. I can't hear anything at first, but then I notice it--whirring in the air. It sounds like it's getting closer too.

"Everyone get down," Thomas shouts, "Hide!"

We run towards another slab of concrete and dive under it, helicopters and a big airship flying through the air just as we do so. Our gazes are turned to the sky as we watch the vehicles pass by.

"They're never gonna stop looking for us," Aris states the obvious.

"Well, I guess that just means we need to get to your little 'mountain people' as fast as we can then," I sigh as I make my way out from the slab.

Everyone follows me, and we walk off towards the outskirts of the city. Eventually, we make it up another sandy hill and stop at the top.

"Those mountains," Thomas points out towards the distance, "that has to be it. That's where we need to go."

"It's a little far off," Newt observes.

I elbow his side and he looks down at me after I do so. "You think," I groan.

Suddenly, Winston falls to the ground, gasping for air. We all rush to the boy, Teresa turning him to lay on his back as she wipes the sand off his face. He seems unresponsive as we try talking to him--the only thing he's doing being gasping for air.