- 23 ; brawl

"Guys, look. Drama." Gareth gestured towards the nearly empty space in the middle of the cafeteria where Chrissy and Jason stood arguing.

Gareth had decided to come into school for today even though Hope was staying over, apparently she was spending the day with Gareth's mom instead so Gareth decided to come in so he wouldn't be alone.

Everybody else around us was talking too loud for any of us to be able to hear what Chrissy and Jason were arguing about but I knew we all had a rough idea.

After the spray paint incident where someone publicly exposed Jason for being a cheater, we all sort of wondered if Chrissy knew or not, I guess this was our answer.

"Hey, Val?" Eddie says, getting my attention.

I didn't take my eyes off the whole Chrissy and Jason argument situation, instead I leaned back a little towards Eddie to show him I was listening.

"I think Jason still thinks I was the one who did that spray paint shit, meaning he's gonna confront me at some point." Eddie begins, "If I ever get into a physical fight with Jason, promise me you won't intervene, no matter how bad it gets. I'll do what I have to do and no one gets involved, has to be a fair fight."

The idea of Jason going after Eddie was enough to make me feel sick. I've seen Jason get into fights before and he's always victorious. I still have vivid memories from back when I was 'friends' with Jason, him beating the shit out of anyone who pissed him off and then smiling to himself once he'd won the fight as if it was easy for him, as if he didn't care about leaving someone bruised and bleeding out on the floor.

"I don't think I'll be able to just stand there watching you get hurt." I tell him.

"This is Jason we're talking about, I won't be the one getting hurt." he says way too confidently.

"Just please be careful, okay?" I sigh.

"Scared my pretty face is gonna get messed up?" he jokes, I'm instantly rolling my eyes.

"No, scared you'll be knocked out or some shit."

I focused back on Chrissy and Jason, the argument seemed to be getting more heated although it seemed like Chrissy was angrier than Jason. He looked as if he was pleading with her, she wasn't taking his bullshit.

Everyone quietened down slightly once more people began to see the argument, everyone heavily invested, everyone except the basketball team.

Jason tried to hold Chrissy's hand to calm her down, instead, she pulled her hand away instantly, anger in her expression. Chrissy's palm met Jason's face in a harsh slap. Gasps filled the newfound quietness, people began to look away.

Chrissy Cunningham, you fucking legend.

"Holy shit!" Gareth's eyes widened, he looked around the table to see if anyone else was seeing what he was seeing.

I knew I couldn't leave Chrissy over there by herself, whatever had just happened was clearly some sort of breakup between her and Jason. I knew her friends would've ridiculed her for it, they would've called her a fool for breaking up with Jason. So, she had no boyfriend anymore, and no real friends either.

But she had me, and I needed her to know that.

"If any of you need me, I'm going to the forest, getting Chrissy out of here." I tell the others, immediately heading over towards Chrissy.

I could've sworn I saw a slight smile on Chrissy's face when she saw me coming over, I knew other people were looking too but I didn't have time to care.

Jason was still standing there by the time I reached Chrissy, he had almost no expression on his face but I knew that meant he was pissed, also probably a little humiliated that he'd just been slapped in front of everyone at school.