Prologue

Just the previous day, Casey Becker and her boyfriend, Steven Orth, were killed and discovered by her parents. Not just a shot-in-the-head murder, either. Steven was found in a chair on the porch, and Casey hung on a tree close by, both gutted.

This was the cause of all the cops and reporters standing outside of Birdie's school, and the cause of her currently being brought into the principal's office to be interviewed by cops.

"Dewey! Sorry, Deputy." Birdie apologizes to their brother, smiling slightly. Though no one knew they were siblings, most likely because Tatum insisted that she act like they don't know her.

"This isn't funny. Someone was murdered. We want to ask you some questions, is that alright?" A cop sternly looked at Birdie.

"Well, not like I have a choice. So, yeah, go ahead." The cop smiled at Birdie, though they could tell it was forced.

"Were you close with Casey?" The cop brings out a notepad to write everything down.

"Not really. We talked occasionally, but we weren't really friends." She shrugs.

"Alright. Do you hunt?" The cop asked, and one of the other cops looked at him as if it was impossible that Birdie could hunt.

"I could if I wanted to, but no. I haven't hunted since I was, like, eleven." She answers.

"Okay. You may go." The cop finishes writing on the notepad and flips to a new page before gesturing to the door.

Birdie gets up and leaves the room, slightly glad they didn't interrupt any of their classes, just so they wouldn't have missed anything, but kinda wished they did as she didn't like any of her classes or teachers.

They began to walk around campus and overhears a conversation going on between Tatum and some of her friends, paying more attention to Billy Loomis and Stu Macher than the others. She walks a bit slower and hears Sidney ask a question Birdie thinks is easily answered.

"How do you gut someone?" She mumbles, just loud enough for everyone around to barely hear.

"You take a knife and slit from the groin to the sternum." Birdie, who is a student known for being slightly odd, replies, looking the other girl in the eyes for what seems like a century to Sydney, but what is barely a minute, before continuing her walk around the school's campus, as if what she said was completely normal.

Because to them, it was.