Chapter 2 - Christmas Spirit

Syouji sat on the sofa and sighed.

He already finished eating and he was now resting in the living room. Meanwhile, Shidou was in the kitchen helping the Spirits be [Good girls] so that Santa gives them presents.

Even Miku and Natsumi who should know about most things in the world were also playing along and helping.

While Syouji thought about what he should do, a girl sat on the sofa next to him. She tied her long hair into twintails with black ribbons and was sucking on a lollipop.

Yes. It was none other than Itsuka Kotori.

"So...there's no way you can tell them that Santa doesn't exist."

"I-I know that...But why me?"

"Well, I doubt you want someone else to sneak into their rooms."

"So then why can't Shidou be Santa?"

When Syouji asked that, Kotori snorted and made the rod of the lollipop stand.

"Come on, it's more fun to be Santa you know?"

"I guess? So then, what about the presents?"

"We'll provide the presents for you. You just have to put the presents on their beds."

"Right. I suppose there's no other way. I'll be counting on you."

Syouji bowed his head in apology as Kotori looked away with a 'hmph'. Somehow, Syouji couldn't help but think It was quite cute.

".....All that's left now is to work. Hurry up and get ready."

"Get ready?"

"You can't just randomly give them a present, right? Even if we can pretty much guess what they wanted, it's still safer to do some research."

"Ah, I guess so."

That's right. The word "Present" could be subjective and full of possibilities. It feels like Tohka and the others would be happy receiving anything, but if possible confirming what they want is better.

"Everyone! Come here for a bit please!"

Kotori clapped her hands as she summoned everyone to the living room. Meanwhile, Shidou [What is going on?] approached Syouji. After he gave the explanation, Shidou nodded as if to show he understood.

"Mu? What is it Kotori?"

"So, on Christmas night, everyone will get a present from Santa Claus right?"

They all nodded when Kotori asked.

"So, can you tell me what kind of presents you would all like?"

"Mu...?" Tohka's face showed surprise as Kotori asked. "Why are you asking? Isn't Santa Claus supposed to give us the presents?"

"Well, umm, I got Santa's contact through secret means, so you're free to request whatever you want from him."

"Muu...but Syouji said Santa has a power that let's him know what children want...does he not?"

"........"

"........"

Kotori threw a sharp gaze at Syouji who immediately averted his gaze. He then made eye contact with Shidou who was over there smiling wryly.

Kotori scratched her head, to keep up the deception.

"Well, here's the thing. Santa's telepathic abilities grows weaker the older his target is, that's why—"