Chapter 23 - Shattered boundaries

After exiting the Fraxinus, Shidou and the others returned to the corridor. The airship's crew was currently on the bridge and occupied with the final adjustments to Fraxinus. And now there stood only Shidou and the Spirits who were following Syouji and Kotori.

".....Shidou, Shidou." Tohka called him from behind.

"What is it, Tohka?" Shidou turned around to face her.

"Who's this Woodman guy? Kotori seems to respect him a lot." Tohkas asked as Shidou directed his sight forward, towards Syouji and Kotori.

Indeed, after that name was mentioned, Syouji, who was flustered from his event with Origami immediately straightened up, handing the red overcoat to Kotori, helping her put it on and buttoning it up neatly.

Kotori snapped her fingers at Syouji and upon that, Syouji turned his head to look at Tohka and Shidou.

"He's the chairman of Ratatoskr's board of directors. He's essentially the one at the very top of the organization and also its founder. Without him Ratatoskr most likely would not exist."

"...!" Hearing that, Shidou's eyebrows twitched. 

Then at that moment, Syouji noticed Nia who was walking next to Shidou wearing a complicated expression on her face. 

"What's wrong Nia? You look scary." 

"...!"

When Syouji called out to Nia, she jumped before shaking her head.

"Hm? Ah, it's nothing. As for you boy, since when were you able to notice slight changes?"

"Well that's... kind of my job. I was literally trained by force to notice." Syouji said with a wry smile as Kotori chuckled.

"The name... it sounds familiar."

"Is that so..."

Just as Syouji was about to question further, they stopped upon reaching a door. Syouji scanned his bracelet on a panel as Kotori pressed the intercom beside the door, informing their presence before turning the doorknob.

"Alright, come in." Kotori ordered as Syouji followed behind her, nodding at Shidou and the Spirits to follow.

Shidou and the others disorderly entered the room. The room resembled a private study which accepted innumerable books and other works of literature, bookshelves placed together side by side.

The atmosphere of the chamber when compared to the previous machinery facility was as different as different as black and white.

In the innermost part of the room, the silhouettes of three people cold be seen behind a massive business table. One of them was a man who looked to be over fifty years old, sitting on a wheelchair. He wore green coloured thin frame eyeglasses and tied his rather lengthy hair into a single bundle, while emanating a gentle impression. 

On his left stood a woman who also had glasses on and wore Western-style clothing, while maintaining an upright posture. On his right stood a young man who looked to be 12-15 years old, with ash gray hair and striking a resemblance with Ellen and Westcott. 

Seeing that, Shidou shuddered his body shaking upon remembering Isaac Westcott. However, unlike him, the young man was emanating a gentle and peaceful energy.

"Huh?"

"Umu..."

Shidou and Tohka couldn't help but knit their eyebrows when they saw the couple as they were sure they have seen each other somewhere before. 

"It's Mr. Baldwin?" Shidou exasperated as Syouji nodded with a chuckle. The man then let out a mischievous expression.

"Long time no see. It's good to see that you're all in good health. I am Elliot Baldwin Woodman."