Rim of the World

The ringing of my alarm entered my ears as I closed my eyes tightly, stretching my arms in the air.

I grabbed my phone to see the time was 6 o'clock. I sighed and got up out of the bed, failing to stifle a yawn.

Honestly, I would rather spend my summer curled up watching Netflix with my favourite snacks, but my dad thought otherwise. He thought that I needed to 'expand my social life' and make new friends. Although part of me told me that wasn't the only reason.

After I got ready, I checked my bag, making sure it had everything I needed.

"Phone, money, pepper spray, uhh," my mind blanked. I just shoved some random items in my bag to suffice. I probably wouldn't need it, but you never know, right? If anything, I could probably steal it from Dariush, he overpacks everytime.

However, my thoughts were interrupted by my whining brother.

"Hope, have you seen my Gucci? I wanted to carry it but can't find it," a distraught Dariush shouted.

He was somehow related to me.

"No! I don't have your Gucci, ask mom or dad!" I shouted back.

"Whatever. Maybe I'll just have to wear Chanel or something."

I rolled my eyes, inside and out.

I walked out of my room with a backpack strapped on my back.

I saw my brother walk out in what looked like pyjamas, dancing to imaginary music. I would say something, but in this household, this was nothing short of typical.

We both walked up to our parents, standing outside.

"Bye Mom," Dariush and I said, our mother hugging us in return.

"Gonna be a lot of cute girls up there, Dariush," Dad told him, giving him a fist bump, "A lot of cute boys too, Hope. Knock 'em dead." A slight chuckle escaped my lips as I received my fist bump. I knew that was not going to happen but my dad liked to be...optimistic.

"Don't be a creep, Dad," Dariush responded.

We both got sucked into a hug.

"I love you, both. No matter what."

A smile couldn't help but appear on my face as we pulled away and started to walk towards the car.

"All right, Jacobi, let's bounce," Dariush said, getting into the car. I followed him into the car, giving Jacobi a fist bump before I headed in.

"Why are you wearing pyjamas?" I asked him, curious as to what his offended answer would be.

"They aren't pyjamas! This is fashion, something you clearly don't understand," he said as he eyed up my outfit.

His words had no effect on me, after 16 years of putting up with him, I dont think much could phase me. I looked down to my simple and comfortable outfit: some baggy jeans and an oversized graphic tee with my favourite sneakers.

"Hey, you can't be calling this bad when you look like a 5-year-old!" I retorted, he kind of was sometimes.

"At least I'm an original, fashionable 5-year-old." He slumped back into his seat and began to look out the window as the car moved off. I chuckled to myself and wondered what other antics he would get himself, and consequently myself, into.

After what felt like an eternity of a car ride, thanks to Dariush, we arrived at Rim of the World.

As I took my duffle bag out of the car, I could hear my brother telling Jacobi something.

"Oh, hey, use retail method when folding my clothes, Jacobi. Okay? I don't want to see any creases," Dariush told Jacobi. At times I felt bad for him, having to constantly put up with Dariush, but hey, I would do it too for a cheque.

"Retail what?" I heard a voice say, I turned around to see a man, who had listened to Dariush.

"Retail method," Dariush informed.

"What's that?" the man asked.

"What rich people do. You wouldn't know nothin' 'bout that," Dariush replied. My eyes widened, Dariush can be outta line sometimes.

"Don't turn your back, I'll slap the shit out of you," the man spoke. I noticed a mom trying to lead her son away from this conversation, I was about to do the same myself.

I walked away from the car, my duffle bag draped over one shoulder and my backpack on the other. I walked into this mess hall-like place.

"Welcome to the Rim of the World Adventure Camp..." the man greeted.

"Hope."

"...Hope! Back there is registration, get checked in and get your cabin number. Then we'll sign you up for some afternoon activities!" this man was seething with enthusiasm, I hoped it would rub off on me.

I went and found myself in the line, behind a young Asian girl.

"All right, who's next?" the man from before said before the girl came in front of him.

"China?! Wait, wait, wait, I know this, uh. Ni hao!" I just cringed at this exchange, the girl just stood there, unimpressed, "Welcome...to...camp! I love...Jackie Chan! Do you understand the words comin' out of my mouth? Move along."

After getting registered and recieving my cabin number, I roamed around for a place to sit and take a breather. I noticed my brother talking to a woman who worked at the camp. I let my eyes linger on them for a little longer before realizing that she was holding a box filled with phones. I quickly rushed out of the mess hall, praying she didnt see me so she couldnt take away my phone.

I went to sit down outside, resting my bags beside me. I had a feeling this was gonna be a...different summer, something felt very odd. As if an air of...something life changing was suspended in the atompshere.

I brushed it off, knowing this camp was going to be the same as any other ones I had gone to before; packed with way less fun than they say in the ads and annoying, with my brother in my ear every second.

The same Asian girl had walked past me, looking at me. I waved to her, however, she just stared at me for a few more seconds and then walked away. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. What a great start to camp, being ruthlessely judged by a tween.