Makeover

"I hope they got a McDonald's in here. I need me, like two McDoubles and ice cream," Dariush remarked as we ran towards a mall, passing by a couple of burning cars. I hope they had insurance. Or weren't dead, that seemed like the more important thing.

"Hurry, come on. We gotta get inside," Zhenzhen muttered breathlessly. 

"Come on. I know the Gucci's downstairs. Let's go," Dariush said as we hastily trekked down the broken escalator.

Once we reached the floor, Gabriel and I spotted some mannequins on display with some Adidas clothing. The others had gone to one side to bicker about something.

"Think this could work?" I asked, eyeing up the clothes.

"Yeah," Gabriel agreed, eyeing the clothes some more, "Guys!"

The three broke away from their conversation and came to join us.

"It's time for a change," I uttered as they looked at the clothes.

Alex and Zhenzhen had gone to change in the carousel in the middle of the mall. Dariush, Gabriel, and I found different stores to change in.

Although it was a small moment, it felt oddly calming. To be alone and just change into fresh clothes. I took some time to savor the odd moment. 

"Hope, are you do-?" Gabriel started to ask, but once his eyes fell on me and he realized I was still changed he quickly stopped and turned away. "Sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine. I've finished anyways." I put on my white Adidas jacket on my torso. I walked out of the store to see a slightly red Gabriel who seemed to be silently cursing himself with his head down and I couldn't help an internal chuckle. He was so sweet.

"Come on. I'm done," I stated. He quickly looked up and straightened his posture.

"Oh-, yeah, yeah. Let's get the others." He walked away to the store Dariush was in. I noticed a smile starting to form and I quickly caught myself and dropped the smile. 

After returning up the escalator, we strutted down it once more to have fun. Once we reached the end we started enjoying ourselves and dancing. Although it felt a little cringe; it was nice to see us all having a good time after everything that's happened. Plus, Gabriel's smile was beautiful.

The imaginary music in our heads came to a halt once Alex called us over to look at a lone dressed-up mannequin holding a lightsaber. 

"Guys! Guys!" 

"What?"

"Yeah, Mannequin Skywalker."

I pressed my lips together in an attempt to not even chuckle at his joke, but a slight curl couldn't help but form on my lips. It was so bad that it was somewhat good.

"Alex..."

"Man, if you don't... No, you know what? That was...that shit was funny. That was pretty good. Give me some."

After gathering our bikes back and making sure we were all set to go, we set off. However, before we could even touch the ground that wasn't the mall, Alex came to a stop, causing us all to halt. Of course, Dariush opened his mouth which never seemed to stop spouting words.

"Aw, come on, man. Don't tell me we gotta teach you again?"

However, Alex ignored him at stared off into the distance, "1973 Ford Mustang Mach One."

I looked over to see the brown-colored Ford in pristine condition, not even a scratch. 

"My dad had one just like it." 

"That Mustang doesn't have any computers or anything that can be fried by the pulse, right?" Gabriel asked. Alex confirmed his suspicion. We all dropped our bikes in unison and started to run excitedly towards the car.

"Shotgun!"

"Let's go."

"Finally got some real wheels in here, let's go!"

Alex hastily climbed into the driver's seat with Dariush, Gabriel, and me in the back while Zhenzhen took the front seat.

"Come on, hit it, Alex!"

"Let's ride."

"Oh," Alex spoke, his words laced with disappointment, "I can't drive a stick."

Before we knew it, Zhenzhen twisted the key into the car, starting it up.

"You know, as the oldest maybe I should-" I couldn't finish my sentence before Zhenzhen slammed onto the gas causing me to fall back into my seat as she did a couple of donuts. I guess she could drive.