What the hell?

"What the hell was that?" Dariush took the words right out of my mouth.

Everyone's phones started to beep including mine, I took it out to be met with an emergency broadcast.

"What does it say?" Gabriel asked, I looked at him and showed him what my phone said. He leaned over my shoulder to read the message displayed on the screen.

"It's the emergency broadcast system," Dariush informed, "'All civilians are to evacuate metropolitan areas immediately. Under no circumstances approach any unknown aircraft.' It's the next 7-Eleven." Dariush freaked out, understandably.

My heart started to speed up as I tried to calm my heavy breathing. What the hell was going on? An alien invasion?

"We gotta get back to the van," Alex said, "Anyone know the way?"

We were all silent for a moment until Gabriel made it known that he knew the way and told us to follow him. As he started to walk away, of course, Dariush had something to say.

"Okay. Whoa! Whoa. Slow your roll Dora the Explorer, all right, this is my clique." I furrowed my brows, what is he on? "Soldiers out."

Dariush started to walk in the opposite direction of Gabriel, we all looked at him for a moment before following Gabriel. I trust Gabriel way more and Dariush is my brother. Plus, Gabriel did say that he lived around here.

Dariush would start to tag along so I didn't worry about him.

"Everyone's gone!" I exclaimed as we ran to the same place we were earlier but completely deserted.

"Assholes!" Dariush added.

"They probably got the emergency signal and went back to camp," Alex chimed in.

More thunderous booms erupted, but this time we could see multiple purple explosions illuminate the sky. My eyes widened as I froze in fear looking up.

"What the fu..?"

"Looks like explosions in the upper atmosphere," Alex informed us.

"Call them and have them send the van to pick you up," Gabriel instructed. I snapped out of my fear trance and took my phone out of my pocket in hopes of...well...anything. However, once I clicked it on, I was met with disappointment: it was dead.

"It's dead! I had 90% two seconds ago. Piece of shit Boost Mobile." Dariush seemed to have the same problem.

"Mine's dead, too," Alex added.

Instantaneously, the whole sky changed from blue to a reddish brown color. An eerie silence crept between all of us.

All of a sudden, ships flew in front of us, just above the river. My heart started to speed up again.

"Oh my God, it's Independence Day!" Gabriel exclaimed.

"It's June, Gabriel!"

I rolled my eyes while stifling a chuckle at Dariush's ignorance.

"Oh, wait. Maybe North Korea's invaded. Zhenzhen call it off!"

I physically cringed. Sometimes it gets hard to tolerate my brother and I seriously just want to kick him...

"We just need to wait here until the adults realize they left us and come back," Alex said.

"Oh, man. What if they never come back?! I'm gonna die here with you losers and Hope? I never even had sex before!"

How enlightening.

"I'ma clear that up. I had sex...I had sex before, I mean...I haven't had sex with two girls at once. That's what I mean." Dariush turned to Alex to back up his definitely true claims, "I told you I had sex cause..." Alex simply denied.

"All right, hey, look, we're not gonna die! It's probably just a forest fire. We gotta get going, bears out here can be crazy," Gabriel talked up. A forest fire? Are we forgetting about the ships that just passed over the river? Those weren't helicopters or whatever is used to put out forest fires. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid.

"Whoa! Whoa! Okay, slow your roll. Did you just say bears? I don't do so well with bears, man. I'm not tryna get DiCaprio'd up in here!"

Gabriel put his hands on Dariush's shoulders to try to calm him down, "Look, no one does well with bears."

"Oh, whoa, uh ask Werner Herzog. Grizzly Man lived with those things for years, so check that out."

"Did you watch the end of that movie?" I asked, he certainly did not.

""Did I watch.." Yeah, I watched...no I didn't."

"No, dude. Okay, stop. Gabriel's right. Black bears are opportunistic carnivores. We're not gonna survive out here in the wilderness through the night."

"Then let's go! Come on!"