Saving the World

Alex and Zhenzhen rode beside each other, engaging in a conversation I couldn't bother to listen to. I don't think I could have if I tried anyways. 

After what just happened with Gabriel, it would be hard to focus on anything. My mind kept whirling with thoughts and possibilities and perhaps scenarios.

I glanced at him several times as we rode beside each other, but we kept silent.

"You got this, Alex. You doin' good, man!" Dariush exclaimed as Alex rode steadily.

As we started to ride onto a road, Alex and Zhenzhen suddenly came to a stop as military trucks dashed in front of us down the road.

Shock washed over me before we all got off our bikes to pursue the tucks, waving our hands and screaming at them. It seemed hopeless as they continued down the road with no intention of stopping.

"Stay where you are. Do not move!" a stern voice rang out behind us. I turned around, dropping my helmet on the floor, slightly startled by the sudden voices. A school bus and more military vehicles started to surround the area, along with many soldiers standing in front of us.

Alex kept repeating "same side" for them to realize that we didn't mean any harm; we were just a couple of kids, after all.

Once they realized we were kids, they lowered their guns and dispersed into different areas. One soldier started to walk up to us.

"You should have evacuated hours ago. We're at war," the soldier noted.

"Sir, we were in the mountains when the attacks started," Alex explained, "Can you tell us what's going on? How big is the attack?"

"Did it reach the nation's finest Mercedes dealership?" Dariush inquired, I rolled my eyes while managing to stifle a chuckle. It wasn't the time to be asking about that.

"Dude, how can you...?" Alex started.

"My dad owns it. I'm the future heir."

"Shut up!" Zhenzhen shouted at them. I wanted to go somewhere safe and worry there.

"All I can tell you is you're not safe here. Everyone on the bus right now." He gestured to the bus, turning around and walking off, "I'll take you to the evacuation center."

We all started exclaiming to him to stop and wait before he finally turned his attention to us again.

"You need to take this key to Pasadena," Alex said while taking it from around his neck.

He looked at us confused, "Where did you get this?"

"An astronaut from the space station gave it to us," I explained.

"She said we need to take it to JPL," Gabriel chimed in.

"What's on that key could stop the aliens," Dariush added.

"You need to get that to JPL in Pasadena to a Dr. Fielding."

"We've been receiving Morse code from Dr. Fielding at JPL all-day. Finding this key has been the primary objective. Thanks, kid. You may have just saved the world. We'll take it from here."

I swear I could hear the triumphant music ringing in my ear. We just did it! We (basically) saved the world!

He led us to the school bus, which would eventually go to the evacuation center; I'd get to see my parents again! We all rejoiced together, glad to be able to not live in a post-apocalyptic world. 

"We did it!"

"Yo, I am so happy I told y'all to go down the hill!" 

As we entered the bus, we all got individual high fives from a soldier; although it was a small action, it felt so rewarding. No more having to worry about going to Pasadena or the state of the world. We could be free from this burden.

"Yeah, we did it. Now move your ass."

We got on the bus and sat down together. I sat beside Gabriel instinctively on the window seat and leaned over him to interact with the others.

"We did it."

"Zhenzhen, we did it."

"Let's go, guys. I'm beat," I said as I sat back on the seat, closing my eyes.

"Look." Gabriel motioned to the van outside with the soldier who had the key, moving past us to go to Pasadena. I peeked outside to look at it with a small smile.

However, our joyful moments were cut short by another alien attack. The triumphant music came to a screeching halt. Alien ships started to reign down fire on us. I sat up from my seat, only to see the truck we were looking at mere moments ago being blown up right in front of us and flying over the top of the bus.

Soon after, the bus came to a violent stop as it flipped over on its side.

"Oh my...shit!"

"Alex, are you okay?"

"The door is blocked!"

"Take cover!"

The screaming voices, the shooting, and the panicking caused my head to spin. I closed my eyes tightly, but it wouldn't go away. My heart started to beat faster and faster, my legs not working.

Everybody was leaving the bus, but I just stood there, unable to move, to do anything. My mind turned blank as my vision blurred. I started to hyperventilate as tears dared to fall.

Suddenly, I felt a firm grip on my hand pull me out of the bus and out of my trance.

"Hope! Come on! Let's go!" He exclaimed at me, solidifying me into the real world again.

Once we exited the bus, we saw the alien ships firing at us. Gabriel didn't let go of my hand and continued to hold a tight grip on me.

"Go the other way!" Dariush screamed as we started to run in the opposite directions of the alien ships.

"Watch out for the dogs!" he exclaimed again as we saw a dog attack a soldier. Unpleasant crunching sounds filling the air.

"Holy shit, no!" I exclaimed as we came upon the same soldier we had given the key, buried under a part of the truck. We ran over to him, trying to help him.

"Pick this up with me," Dariush ordered. I tried to lift it off of the soldier, straining my muscles and pushing forward despite the pain.

"What are you doing?" the soldier asked us, "You gotta get outta here."

"We're gonna get you out!" Alex spoke.

"Stop, you gotta go. You have to go."

The sound of beeping became apparent, "Yo, Zhenzhen, get the radio," Dariush said. It must have been the morse code from Dr. Fielding.

"Come on. We can't leave you!" Alex exclaimed.

The soldier started whispering to Alex, presumably telling him he had to take it to Pasadena. I saw him take the key out of his pocket and give it to Alex. I stopped trying to lift the thing off him and stood beside them. A sudden sharp pain came to my side and a thick warmness wrapped my shirt. I held it in pain to see it was the same place that was bleeding earlier. It must have reopened or grown bigger when I was trying to lift the piece of truck.

"Go! Go! Now move!" he shouted as we began to run away. He was the second person we couldn't save; a 2nd life.

The place we were just moments ago was now victim to an explosion from an alien ship. He was dead.

I really don't think we can catch a break.