To Protect You

The radio blasted 'Straight Outta Compton' as we drove through the multiple streets of LA. Laughter and lyrics filled the joyous air and the happiest of smiles were plastered on our faces.

However, our time of tranquility and fun was interrupted by the same goddamn alien jumping on the hood of the car. Screams soon erupted through the car, replacing the once happy expressions we wore as the alien got a better grip on the car. I held tightly onto Gabriel with one hand and Dariush with the other. 

It then smashed its head onto the windshield, making a spiderweb of cracks on the glass. Zhenzhen kept swerving the car but to no avail. The alien then proceeded to punch the already broken windshield, sending chunks of glass all over the car. 

It wasn't looking too great.

To make matters worse, it climbed a little further onto the car, nearly going onto the roof. 

Suddenly, its hand pierced through the roof of the car. It fumbled around to find anything but luckily, none of us were in its way. Thank goodness, its nails were sharp.

"Hang on!" Zhenzhen shouted as she started to turn abruptly. The alien kept punching and clawing at the car. It was only a matter of time before it got to us.

Soon enough, the alien connected with a bus stop and flew off of the car. 

We turned around to see it gone. A flood of relief washed over us all.

I let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding before grabbing onto the two boys on either side of me.

"It's gone. Gimmie some."

Crash!

The alien jumped back onto the car's roof and started smashing out the roof. Screams flooded the car again, mine included, as we all panicked.

Zhenzhen then turned onto a bridge, once she did, an idea must have popped into her head.

"Jump!" she yelled.

"Are you crazy?" Gabriel shouted from beside me.

Zhenzhen quickly jumped out of the car narrowly avoiding the claw swung at her. Everyone else followed after her.

That left me in the car, about to swerve into the large space under the bridge.

I felt my body about to go into shock.

However, I wasn't going to die.

I hastily crawled out of the now-falling car. I made one last attempt to jump and grab onto the edge of the bridge. Pushing from the car with all of my strength. My hands desperately reaching for something to grab onto.

I felt a huge pain rip throughout my back. I tried my best to ignore it and push through.

My body thudded hard onto the edge of the bridge and I tightened my grip, making sure I wouldn't fall. 

The pattering of footsteps entered my ears as everyone made their way to me, helping to pull me up. I was flooded with overlapping voices.

"Are you okay?" 

"Are you hurt?"

"Oh my god, your back!"

"Hope, you are so stupid, don't ever do that again!"

"Guys!" I yelled over everyone as I stood up, "We did it!" I peered down to see the alien crushed by the car, seemingly, hopefully dead. Although it probably wasnt, a little hope couldnt help but bloom in me.

Suddenly, I felt a huge pain erupt in my back. The alien must have scraped me when I jumped. Even though the pain was tremendous, I tried to not show it, not wanting to worry anyone.

"Guys! Guys! I don't have the key!" Alex exclaimed, "We need the key."

Seems like the car wasn't the only thing crashing and burning.

A somber mood enveloped us all.

"Damn it," I heard Dariush mutter under his breath, starting to walk away. "Damn it. Damn it. Damn it."

"Where are you going?" Alex asked him, putting a hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"To get the key."

"No way we can kill that thing, it'll just...reanimate," I reasoned. The idea of my little brother going down there worried me deeply.

"Yeah, but...but we need that key to finish it off."

"You're gonna die if you go down there," Zhenzhen said.

"She's right. We'll go together," Alex spoke.

"So all five of us can die? I thought you were supposed to be the smart one." 

He made a fair point. 

"I'm not letting you go down there Dariush. As your older sister. As your friend."

"It's my turn, Hope." He turned his attention from me back to Alex. "Look, man...Did you know I was named after the ancient King of Persia, Darius? Well, do you know who Darius's greatest rival ever was? The only one to ever defeat him?"

"Alexander the Great."

"Yeah. Yeah, I knew you'd know that. Well, look...this time, Darius gets to be the hero."

Alex pulled him into a hug and wished him good luck before he started to run off.

"Wait! I'm coming with you," I said, catching up to him and winced at the sudden jolt of pain in my body.

"Hope..."

"No! You're my little brother, and Dad said to protect you, so that's what I'm doing." I could feel my eyes glazing over with tears as Dariush became blurry in my vision. "I'm your older sister. I have to protect you. I...have to."

Dariush put his hands on my shoulder, "Hope, you're injured. It could get worse if you go down there. Let me do the protecting for once."

I bit down on my jaw. I saw the sincerity in his eyes, he did want to protect me...all of us.

"Fine, but if you die, I'm gonna kill you." A slight chuckle escaped my lips as a single tear rolled down my eye.

"Wouldn't be looking forward to that." And with that, he ran off, down into danger.