Cory's Alternative Friends

CHAPTER 1.3
Cory's Alternative Friends.

"Hurting! Hurting now!"
   〉〉〉〉

THE ONE PERSON BECK COULD always rely on was her Best friend. She was sat across from Jason Marsden in their regular Chubbie's booth, trying to remember her vocab for her English class, while the boy just admired her presence.

She wasn't aware of it, but she was more enticing than she let on. Her long, light brown hair cascaded down her back, her blue eyes scanned her notes, and the boy across from fixed his clothes subconsciously.

If she had been more observant, she would have noticed this, but she was far too worried about her grades. English was inching its way to a C and she could only hope this test would bring it up to at least a B+.

"Jason, do you remember what contingent means?" She queried, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth. It was a moment of silence later that lead her to raise her head. Jason blinked in a hurry, seemingly pulled from a trance.

"Hm?" He asked, a slight daze to his look. Beckett scoffed and shut her book.

"Never mind, I give up. You're a horrible study partner." She said with pursed lips. It was true, he was.

"Then why do you always ask me to study with you?" He raised an eyebrow. Beckett's lips quirked into an infamous Hunter smirk.

"It's the only place Eric Matthews won't follow us to! Just you and me."

"Oh?" Jason asked, "just.. you and me? Trying to get me alone Hunter?"

Another eye roll, "as if!" She laughed at his joke, and failed to ignore the slight drop in face Jason had. He had no choice but to play along and laugh. Ouch.

"Speaking of Eric," let's switch topics. "don't you think you should be a lot nicer to him? You're working for his family now. You could very well get fired." Jason reminded.

Beckett hide a smile. It was true; she got the job!! She babysat Morgan Matthews on Tuesday and Thursday nights, sometimes Fridays if Eric could weasel his way out of it. It paid decently and the girl was currently saving for an Aerosmith concert.

"I doubt it, i'm starting to think Amy likes me more then him." Beckett shrugged, only half-joking. She started to shove her notebook into her backpack.

"Oh, you're on a first name basis with his parents now? Jeez, they might as well adopt ya at this point."

"Hell no," Beck scoffed, "..besides.. I haven't called Mr. Matthews 'Alan' yet. Im working on it."

"Oh my god."

•••

ring

"Eliana.. I cannot do this any longer! We must be together."

Ring

Beckett threw a handful of popcorn in her mouth.

"But the fact is Mario.. I.. I love another." Dramatic music flared and Beckett gasped, nearly choking on the popcorn.

"Who is this man??"

"He.. he is..-"

The TV suddenly went static and the phone line grew louder. Beckett let out a noise of disapproval and went to hit the TV. The power lines at the Hunter household were.. interesting to say the least.

Sometimes, when the phone rang, the TV cut out. The TV turned back on momentarily, but the moment was ruined. Beck would never find out how the episode ended.

Ring.

Beck groaned and stormed over to the phone, grabbing it and flinging it to her ear.

"Hey, Becky? It's me." Shawn sounded out of breath in the line.

"Shawn! You ruined Música De Mi Corazón! The line cut out again and-"

"I don't care! I need your help, quick!" Shawn yelled back and his older sister scoffed, but let him continue.

"So Cory wants to know if that stuff you sent over should be burning."

Beck went to respond, but paused, "what stuff?"

"Oh.. did I not ask?"

"Shawn, ask for what?!" Her face felt pale.

"Your perm kit."

Beckett slapped her forehead. She had permed her hair once three years ago and never touched the box again. It definitely wasn't her look, considering the loud laugh Eric had thrown at her. Not that she cared about what he thought, because she didn't.

But, besides the point, how Shawn had even found an old perm kit she didn't know. Unfortunately, she had no time to ask because Cory was going burning! Burning! In the background.

"It shouldn't be burning if you did it right!" Beck yelled, her hand flying to her hair.

"Uh huh? Really.." Shawn was strangely calm.

"Hurting! Hurting now!" Cory, again.

Beck sighed and crossed her arms, "how long has it been burning?"

Shawn relayed the question to Cory who responded with, "40-45 minutes ago? Shawn, I'm gonna rip my head off!"

"Then he should have washed it out 45 minutes ago!" Beck practically yelled. Uh oh. Cory screamed.

"He shouldn't have left it in that long-"

"Becky says you shouldn't have left it in that long!"

"-and are you really that dumb? Why didn't you two idiots read the label??"

"Becky says why didn't you two idiots read the label!- hey, thanks Beck." Shawn replied sarcastically.

"Don't come crying when his hair looks like it melted tomorrow. Say goodbye to the-"

Cory screamed again. Louder than she had ever heard Cory Matthews scream.

"Uhhh I gotta go." Shawn said quickly, hanging up mid Cory breakdown.

Beckett was still for a moment, before a wave of laughter hit her. Oh, the joys of childhood.

•••
[1004 words]
Published:

Hey..
I totally didn't disappear what are you talking about??? Oops!

Short short chapter bc I just love this scene and wanted to incorporate Beckett into it instead of 'Stacy' the mysterious never to be heard of again sister of Shawn lolol. Just a fun one!

Im also trying to fit more Jason/Beck moments bc well this is a Eric slow burn so we gotta have the drama ;)

Lastly, THANK YOU!! I've seen many people adding this story to their reading lists and it makes me so happy!! I appreciate you a lot :)
Will post more often 🤞