Class Preunion

CHAPTER 1.7
Class Preunion.

"I can't think of any
insults right now."
   〉〉〉〉

WHAT IS LOVE by Haddaway was seemingly the perfect song to be blasting in Beckett's ears as she walked to school. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry as the song questioned her. Oh, I hate everything!

She crossed her arms as the cool breeze hit her, a dull reminder she didn't have her nice new jacket to keep her warm. She had been stubborn enough to not call Eric's house and ask for it back, but now she was regretting it.

She kicked a rock lamely as her school came into view before her. She glared at it rudely, wishing winter break was longer. She might have been a decent student at times, but that didn't mean she had to enjoy it. Plus, it had been a prying fact in the back of her head she was going to have to talk to Jason.

She in fact, did not talk to him the day after their fiasco, and instead avoided his calls for the rest of break. She felt horrible, but was purely doing it for his sake. She didn't want to answer the phone and scream in his ear on accident, or sputter some nonsense about the meaning of love.

So, she spent the rest of her break begging Shawn to hang out with her and then a lonely New Year's Eve with her parents. They watched the ball drop on TV, though they had both fallen asleep on either side of Beckett. Happy 1994!

Beckett slowly walked up the steps to her death, a deep frown resided on her face. Today was going to be the worst day ever.

Maybe I can avoid him all day. No, no, you have two classes with him, plus lunch! And he normally walks you to your last hour.

Maybe I'll pull the fire alarm. Oh, god not again! Last time you did that you were grounded for a year. Sixth grade was a wild time.

Ok, fine. I'll just go to the nurse and say I'm sick. Good one. A classic, even.

She shuffled through the busy halls, Heart-shaped box by nirvana now replacing the previous song. She approached her locker, looking around her to make sure Jason wasn't around.

Once she was sure the coast was clear, she yanked her locker open and began shuffling through as quickly as possible. Jason usually came to her locker in the morning and complimented her outfit, or offered to carry some of her books. No, not today!

She stalled for a short moment at the thought, suddenly realizing how idiotic she was. She had never realized that his sweetness to her was rooted in a crush. And she was slowly taking in every aspect of his behavior.

She planned to start first hour, and then halfway through pretend like she was nauseous. She debated whether or not she was going to actually have to gag or sit by a radiator to get her temp up. She slammed her locker door shut, but just her luck, Jason was at the same time, approaching.

She looked around, panicked. She didn't have time to find an escape route.

"Hey, Beck." Jason smiled awkwardly, leaning on the locker next to hers. She sighed, lowered her headphones, and turned to him with a big smile,

"Hey, Jason! How are ya, buddy?" She hesitated, before punching his shoulder roughly. He grabbed it in pain,

"Fine?"

"Oh, good."

There was an awkward pause.

"So... did you see we're supposed to get five inches of snow tonight? I'm hoping for a-"