Chapter six: Red heads, everywhere

Game day! It had arrived, and amazingly I wasn't nervous, I felt confident when I woke up and went to train, and the girls all were too, it was our first game day and I think we were finally more excited than nervous.

As promised my entire family had shown up including Mary and of course Grandpa Joseph who was living well for his old age, and he loved to come and support his great grandchildren whilst he still could. I think he also came for Mary, the only two people on earth who could talk about my grandmother Helena with the same affection, both having lost a great love, and Mary most recently having lost her life long love, Erica, too. Mary had moved in to Lala and Gaga's annex where she had her own bathroom, bedroom and living area, she would come down daily and share the kitchen with them so she didn't get lonely.

My mom, I observe, has kitted herself out again in the team colours, and I watched her as we trained, signing autographs, and my mama pointed to her when I looked over and made a face, as if to say "can't take her anywhere" and I knew it wasn't something mom enjoyed, signing autographs when she wanted this to be about me and to focus on her child, not her fans. She gave fans a lot of time, more than most, but sometimes it was a blessing to be able to blend in, a blessing she could only receive in winter when she went incognito, with a scarf wrapped around her mouth, and her most recognisable feature, her dimples, she loved the cooler seasons for this one reason.

"Your mom looks sensational in green" Clark observes with a cheeky grin and I walk behind her and tug her pony tail as she curses me and I stretch out, taking in the supporters and the opposing teams fans as they arrived and got situated.

"Hi" came a voice I hadn't heard in a little while and I look sideways to see Ava stretching out beside me, joining me before I began high knees on the spot, arms nice and high, moving at a quick pace, trying to focus anywhere but on her.

"Aren't you going to talk with me" she asks and I hear it in her voice, the nervousness, to finally speak and I hated when people felt ignored. I couldn't bare it when someone's voice or eyes gave away their sadness or disappointment.

I didn't want to make contact with her, but I didn't want to be the cause of her anxiety either.

"Of course I am... Hi" I offer back but I keep it moving up the pitch, moving side step up the white line. Ava keeps close, clearly not done with the conversation.

"You look great" she says eyeing me sideways.

"You too" I reply but I hadn't a clue in all honesty, since I had been avoiding looking at her whenever she was close by.

"I don't... but I appreciate you lying to make me feel better" she says as we get called back to the coach.

"Can we talk later" she asks as we get closer to the team.

I look to her, taken aback, my eyes searching hers for the first time in months "what?" I ask "no" I add before she can say anymore and I take off running toward the team, fitting into the team huddle, my arms wrapped around both Clark and Alex's shoulders. Ava joins on the opposite side and I avoid her stare, I didn't want the chat she clearly wanted to have, I perhaps would have once, months ago, longing for any word from her, but now nothing she had to say would be of any benefit to either of us.

"You girls are strong in the defence here, and midfield have gaps we can use to our advantage if they keep the same game play they had last season. Beaton you have their number ten beat on every count, she will play dirty and bet on you making a scene, don't play into it, be cool as a cucumber"

"Did you watch my high school games by any chance coach" Clark asks with an amused grin.

"I did Beaton and you blew like a fuse as soon as anyone put you down to the ground, whether it was done dirty or not"