Chapter nine: The morning after

Imagine this... it's the morning after a night out, you and your room mate both manage to hook up with and take home a hottie, but you both wake up the next morning to silence... no soft body pressed to your own... no aching limbs from the sex you had all night... no swollen lips from kissing... no euphoric high at all...

"Mills" Kate calls knocking the door, thinking I'm in a state of bliss, limbs wrapped around a girl, when in reality...I'm laying face down with Normans fluffy butt pressed to the back of my neck.

"Come in" i groan from the pillow that's now stuck to my face.

Kate peeks around the doorway, her hands slightly covering her eyes but soon dropping them "oh" she observes "you're alone"

I groan at that, the truth... it sucks.

"And Norman... I wondered where you went" Kate said crawling over the bed, narrowly avoiding her knee pressing into my thigh as she made her way beside me, slipping under the covers and stroking Norman who was still asleep on my back.

I turn around and look to her sat there all chirpy.

"Why are you like this" I ask.

"Like what" she replies taking Norman from my back and into her arms.

"So positively happy when last night your date got eaten by your cat and you went to bed horny as fuck"

"Mills ... language" she reminds me. "And why should I dwell on Andrew... he clearly gave off bad vibes or Norm wouldn't have lashed out"

I try not to laugh at her optimism. Norman thought every man on the planet gave off bad vibes.

"So what happened to Wren" Kate asked.

"Wren" I repeat, wanting to say it, to have her once again on my lips. "She had to leave before we even did anything... her best friend called and she had to go"

"Ooh the call" Kate says matter of factly.

I roll over so I'm facing her completely. "What call?" I ask curiously.

She strokes Norman and looks down to me from where her heads leant against the headboard "the one you get your friend to make when you're on a date, so that if you want to get out of there you have an excuse" she reveals a little too brutally.

"Ouch" I return. "You think she wanted an out" I ask now completely doubting myself.

"What were you doing when the call came in" she asked.

"She was quite literally about to remove my underwear with her teeth" I reply.

"Ah okay... forget the call then.., clearly the girl was about to go to town between your legs... no hesitancy there" she says.

"Well I thought so...but now you've made me doubt myself" I say as my mind whirls a little.

"Oh stop it Millie... be positive... she clearly liked you... and you clearly liked her... did you get her number?"

I hold my hands over my face and let out a long dramatic breath as I drag them down my features "no"

Why didn't I just get her number as she walked out of here?! We had unfinished business and now I wouldn't get to finish it nor unwrap that girl unless I happened to be in the same place at the same time again. What were the chances I would bump into Wren again in a city of thousands and thousands of people? I wasn't about to spend every Friday waiting for her in a gay bar, I barely had time between college and university lecturing to even eat, let alone find her again.

The urge though, to find her, it was stronger than I had ever expected for a fleeting few hours on a Friday night.

It was the kiss