Chapter thirty three: An endless night

An endless night, that's how I would describe the night that followed the revelation from Max. I finally made it home to dorms, cold, wet, half the human I had been that morning, it was ten at night, six hours after I should have been with Millie. I would normally be panicking if I was late for someone by even a minute, and here we were six hours later and my absence wasn't sending even a flicker of a sensation to my brain to register it. Trauma of sorts can do that, drown out even the people you love, so that you will feel only it's hellish numbness instead.

Numb, that covered it.

"Wren" both Cam and Jade greet as I enter our room.

Cameron stands from Jades bed and looks me up and down, mouth agape "have you been out in this weather the entire time" he asks shocked.

I don't say a word but my body shakes, I don't know at this point if it is the cold getting to my bones or the numbness taking me hostage that had caused it. Cameron grabs a blanket and places it over my shoulders, wrapping me in it completely as he quickly ran his hands up and down my arms in an effort to warm me.

"Grab her sweats, a towel and her shower stuff" Cam asks Jade.

Jade moves around the room swiftly, collecting my things, and with my legs wobbling and threatening to send me to the floor, Cameron picks me up, like I am nothing but a little bird, and he slowly walks me down the hall with Jade following until we are at the bathroom doors.

"Put on a shower" he asks Jade who quickly places my things on the vanity before turning on the shower in the first cubicle.

Cam places me down so I am sat on the vanity beside my things, still shivering, my teeth beginning to chatter violently, not a word had come from my lips, but Cam was reading my eyes for everything I desperately wanted to say.

"It's okay" he whispers "I got you bird" and he bends down and removes my soccer boots, unrolls my mud soaked socks and then continues to rub my shoulders as Jade appeared again beside him.

"It's ready" she says with a gentle smile.

Cam looks hesitant to release me, like if he lets me go I might break. He slowly removes the blanket and looks to Jade "I will step out whilst you undress her... but I'm right outside the door if you need me. It's nothing I've not seen before and I know she doesn't care, if I have to help"

"Okay" Jade replies and she looks to me as Cameron leaves and strokes my cheek with the back of her hand. "Let's get these off of you" she says and she slowly peels the soccer shirt over my head and then my bra, assisting me out of all of my clothing.

I kind of wake from my numb state after a few moments under a steaming hot shower and I look to Jade stood just out of the waters touch "I'm sorry" I whisper wide eyed like a deer caught in headlights.

"Don't be" she says with a soft smile "Cameron filled me in a little" she says with concern "I think I would be feeling a little shell shocked too... are you hungry... thirsty" she asks.

I nod.

"Wait here I will send Cam for food" she says disappearing for a moment.

In her absence I place my hands on the tiled wall and hold myself up as the hot water runs down my body and awakens every inch of it, like I was being thawed out and coming back to life.

"All done" she says returning with a big fluffy white towel.

"He's gone to get your favourite pizza" she says holding out the towel as I switch off the shower and step into it.

"Thanks Jade... I'm really sorry you had to see me like this"

Jade smiles "Wren we care about you... we all do. I would do anything for you, and anyone else on the team. Cameron loves you I'm pretty sure he would drive off a cliff for you if you asked it of him"