Chapter seventeen: First texts

I wake up and fill my backpack, today I had training for a midweek game, we were playing Stanford. I was a little sore in the muscles from my night with Millie, and just as I think about it, I sigh, and I sit back down on the bed.

I think perhaps I like Millie more than I realised, because not only can I not get her body out of my mind, but I wanted to know more about her, and I wanted to be around her. If I could have woken up in her arms this morning, I think I would have woken as if I was in heaven.

"Morning" Jade greets cheerily coming in from a shower "where did you roll in from this morning" she asks me with a grin "there were birds singing Wren... birds" she adds for dramatic effect.

I try and hide the ridiculous goofy grin that plastered to my face at the giddy way Millie had begun to make me feel.

"Oh my god" Jade says sitting down opposite me, as she observed it, in all its goofy glory, Ava entered the room as she did, observing us. "You're in love" Jade squeals.

I quickly jump to my feet and erase the smile "no I am not" I protest "far too early for that"and I smile at Ava instead "hey" I acknowledge.

"Who are you in love with" she asks, her full lips pursed in obvious irritation, her hazel eyes observing me with a frown.

Jade realises her error "nobody... I was just joking with her" she lied to save the imminent clash. "She came in after four am"

Ava's nostrils flare a little, she takes a deep breath "with the girl you were seeing I presume" she asks.

I nod, I wouldn't lie about that.

"Well be safe out there at that time Wren... it's weirdo hour" she reminds me.

The air warms back up, crisis diverted, for now, but I knew if this thing with Millie was more serious, so would Ava's dislike of her be, and I highly doubted we would remain friends, no matter how much she declared she would rather that then nothing.

"Hey" Cam greets coming in beside Ava "morning all" he adds. Jade looks like she blushes at his sudden presence in our small space.

"Hey" I return and I grab my backpack and sling it over my shoulder.

"Ava... Jade... I will meet you at the field. I just wanna grab breakfast with Cameron first and chat some family drama" i reveal.

I grab Cameron's arm and lead him back down the hall.

"We have matching flannel on" he muses and I look to him in his burnt orange and navy flannel and then look to mine and I laugh.

"This is why people think we are a couple" I observe shaking my head

"It's uncanny how much we co-ord" he muses.

"So...I have news" He confesses.

I turn curiously as we exit out onto the street "do tell" I ask.

"Okay... so don't tell anyone... but I've finally got my top surgery booked" he confesses.

I stop walking and my eyes fill with tears "when" I ask and I can barely form words because Cam has wanted this as long as I can even remember. His parents had made it clear that they would never okay surgery of any kind before he was eighteen, and I knew this was something that made him uncomfortable in his body, to have breasts, yes they were small, but they still existed ,where in his mind, they shouldn't. I also knew he had hurt himself before with binds that were too tight on his chest, just to have them appear flat.

"Winter break" he reveals and I see that his eyes are misty as I walk into his arms, and I hug him tighter than I ever have in my life.

"I love you" I whisper.