11- Leaving Behind

"So, that's that, Joe," Sebastian sighed and heaved himself into a standing position, but deciding against it and sinking back again. "I'll be gone for a month, and return to Dalton for the graduation ceremony. You can all come then and I'll introduce you to my friends."

Iris was splayed out on the couch. "I don't know if I'll be alive after dad's boxing sessions to attend your graduation, Bas," she groaned, massaging a sore limb. A hard look from Joe made her clam up.

"Dad-!" she started protesting, but Joe was determined to not let her get away with this. "No chocolate cookies for you for another two weeks, young lady," he pointed a rather straighter-than-normal finger at her. Iris deflated. 

"But I love choc-chip! I'd take capital punishment over this any day!" she whined. Sebastian chortled and choked. "Do you even know what capital punishment is?"

"Uh, public humiliation...?" Iris replied uncertainly, noticing the wicked glint in Sebastian's canines.

"Legal public murder," Sebastian said as if talking about the weather. "In the medieval ages, anyway."

He had to bite down his lip to stop himself from laughing at his foster-sister's horrified expression. Quickly changing the topic, he turned to Joe. "When is Barr getting home, anyway?" he asked. Joe shrugged. "With all the extra classes he's been taking, it's hard to tell. I've lost count."

Iris massaged her temples. "And each one of them are about studies," she sighed, clearly exasperated. "Studies, studies, studies, studies, fucking studies."

Joe glared at her. "Language, Iris."

"Fuckin' studies," Sebastian agreed with a cheeky grin and earned a glare with twice the intensity. "But aren't his examinations long over? What's he still studying for?"

"The school in Coast City has a vocational science summer camp, and he somehow managed to convince them to add a CSI junior course too," Joe sighed. "All for releasing Henry from prison."

The room went silent. 

Joe suddenly remembered that while Barry had always pleaded their father's innocence, Sebastian had wholeheartedly gone along with the only logical explanation given by the cops. Joe sighed, burying his face in his hands. Here was Barry, still unable to accept the truth and willing to throw away his life for his murderer of a father. (Barry doesn't become the Flash until much later, so no hate for Papa Joe plz)

He cleared his throat. "So, yeah, the train from Coast City should have left an hour ago. He must be here soon."

"Yeah, yeah," Sebastian was shaken out of his daze. "Should I get him from the station?"

"Nah," Iris drawled, flopping back headfirst onto the couch and promptly kicking Sebastian out of it. "He promised to help me finish my Chemistry homework, yet here we are, sitting with my blank notebook and tons of angry red remarks by my teacher."

"You deserved it," Barry said, leaning against the doorframe, smiling mischievously. Sebastian leapt up and dashed ahead Joe to squeeze his brother in a hug. Barry literally had to tap out as if they were in a judo match.

"Need... air... Bas- oh, dear god!" Barry gasped as soon as his twin let go. He gingerly found his footing and finally smiled again. "You're here!" he exclaimed.

"Of course I would be, idiot, it's your graduation ceremony tomorrow!" Sebastian grinned like a loon. Barry ruffled the back of his hair. "Ah, it's no big deal-"

"Shut the hell up, it is," Iris frowned at him. "Honestly Barry, you can't catch criminals if you're going to be so sweet and innocent all the time. Own your nerdiness!"